Ten

Have you guys seen the new cover...*-*
_______________________

*-*_______________________

Ava

It didn't take long before every bag was packed in the trunks the following morning. Four SUVs were lined up outside the entrance, ready for departure at any moment. No matter where I turned there were people walking back and forth over the property, following James' commands.

Despite James including me as much as possible in the plan they had come up with, most of the information went over my head. And other times I decided to not participate in their meetings at all. I wasn't coming with them anyway. Meeting Maxim again would probably only frustrate me.

The Russian mob had been a bump in the road for Il Risorto since Maxim's father decided to rise up against the De Luca family and their cartel, that's what I knew. I'm not sure what role I played in all of this or why I suddenly became a target for Maxim. It had to be about more than just their feud with my dad. Whatever it was, I trusted James to handle it, as he said he would. I needed a break from the firing of weapons and killing of people.

I wanted to talk to my dad about all of this, but did I really want to walk down a path filled with more questions and confusion? Maybe the cause of it wasn't important. The only thing I cared about was that my family was safe and that James came home in one piece.

"Don't worry honey, he'll be okay."

I looked to my side where James' mother stood, squeezing my arm reassuringly. For some odd reason she always seemed to be good at reading my mind. She was a lot like my own mom, although lately I've been better at keeping things from her, which has filled me with guilt.

"No, I'm not worried. Just...thinking." I answered, trying to sound honest. The truth was I didn't trust Maxim, not one bit. He was a dangerous man, and I had a hard time coding him. Not that I had met him that many times, but he seemed like the man who always had his next move ready to go.

Like James.

She lifted a brow, showing me I hadn't convinced her. I let out a heavy breath and looked ahead where James spoke quietly with a few of his men.

"It's okay to be a little anxious, it shows you care." She stated. "This will be easy for them. Sokolov has shown he isn't afraid of Nicco, and he will regret that. The Russians have bothered us for years, and it's time we put an end to it, so be prepared to see him coming back with blood on his hands."

I moved my eyes to her with a small frown. "But it's just a meeting."

She chuckled and clutched onto the coat granting her the warmth she needed a day like this, apart from me who stood with one of James' hoodies and my sweatpants.

"It's the mafia, cara. It speaks for itself."

I realized that she was right. Of course James won't be satisfied with peace. He's a vengeful and proud man, he needs more. And why else would they bring so much ammunition? Only a minute later, they were all ready to leave. While the rest of the men got in the cars, James made his way to us.