CHAPTER 20 / CAUSE AND EFFECT

SEPTEMBER 5TH, 2022 - I hate editing. 

NANA

Was I having a bad dream? I remember sitting on a horse and then blacking out.

I opened my eyes, and my head was hurting, like a massive headache. But, to top it off, my left hand felt trapped and felt as if it was being cut in half when I tried to move it, burning like fire. 

It didn't look like I was in my bedroom. I slept over at my parents' place, didn't I? 

It looked like a hospital room. I was lying in a white hospital bed, my left hand was in a cast and my right hand had a needle through it connected to a bottle of clear liquid. I could see Zane next to me. 

"Zane?" I whispered weakly, he was sitting by my right side. "What happened, where am I?" I asked.

"Nana? Thank Irene you're okay!" he exclaimed, kissing me on the cheek. 

"Why am I here?" I questioned.

He sighed. "You fell off your horse, and you wouldn't wake up. We took you to the clinic and you were taken here," he explained. 

"Where's here?" I asked, almost sarcastically.

"Falcon Claw Hospital. You've been out for five hours now," he explained.

I slunk back into the hospital bed, "Oh." Oh, that was all I had to say.

"I have a question. Do you remember where we've been today and what the name of the horse you were riding was?" he asked.

"But you were there, you can answer the question." 

"I mean I could... but I need you to remember."

"Um, I remember walking with four other people, burgers, horses, you were there, and oh, Beyonce."

Zane laughed, "Wow, out of everything you remember that! Do you remember who was with us though?" 

"Four old people. I think they were your parents. And mine?" I guessed.

"Good, so what was your horse's name?" 

"Um, um, I-I-I don't remember," I said. 

"That's ok. You got mostly the right idea," he sighed.

"Um, what's with my hands?" I asked, lifting my right hand and trying to pull up my left hand, but failing. It was really heavy and felt as if it was on fire. 

"You needed a bone doctor and a brain doctor. After falling off your horse, you landed on your left arm and shattered the bone. You needed a technical surgery to find the debris. And to make it worse, you had a concussion, even with the helmet on," he explained.

"Great," I grumbled. "How'd I even get here?" I asked, staring at the roof.

He tilted his head, and put his hand behind his neck, "We flew you in the emergency service's helicopter from the Alyssa Falls clinic." 

"So, I was unconscious on a helicopter, with you by my side and we a shattered arm to Falcon Claw Hospital's emergency room," I said sarcastically. 

"Yeah, but you're in your room after being in recovery. The doctors state you'll make a full recovery in time," Zane added. I lay my head back on the pillows. 

"Zane were you scared?" 

"A little to be honest. But not as scared as I was in Starlight when you were cut back in Starlight and went unconscious. At least I knew there were professional services around."