Chapter 17 - Causal Nexus

The morning sun brightened the room, and while scrunching her nose at the brightness, Olivia turned onto her other side and snuggled into his chest. She breathed in his scent and hummed delighted in a quiet tone, which had him pull her closer.

It was then that it dawned on her that something wasn't right. Why wasn't she at home in her bed - alone?

"Am I dreaming again?" she whispered to herself, squinting her eyes and only slowly peeking at the male who she knew so well and especially his scent but didn't trust herself nor her imagination.

"Nope," his short answer had her open her eyes fully as she looked at Gibbs, who smiled warmly at her.

"Why are we in bed? Wait, are we in a hotel?" Olivia tried to sit up but the worst hangover hit her hard, making her groan and press her fingers to her forehead.

"You should take it easy," Gibbs stated softly, pressing a kiss to her bare shoulder, which had her frown and turn her head slowly.

"Am I...naked? Did we..." She lifted the blanket and peeked under only to see her dress still in place - sort of. A relieved sigh escaped her lips and she laid down again, trying to remember what happened. "How did I end up here? And how come you are here?"

Gibbs chuckled and propped himself up on his arm, watching her amused, "First of, you are not naked as you just checked, second of all we didn't have sex if that is what you are implying even though we got pretty close to it but your liquor decided to ruin that for us."

Olivia needed a minute to wrap her head around this information. "We what? How did it get so far? Did you show up at my date?" she asked confused.

"Nope, you came to my place quite drunk and quite pissed off. Don't you remember anything?"

"Wait, are we at your place?" she looked around, "..are we in your bedroom?"

Nodding softly, he smiled, "Yup. After we got up the stairs and were heading to the bedroom you got sick, and while you were occupied with that I made the bed so that you could sleep it off."

Olivia was at first surprised but giving it a proper thought, she could never doubt him being this sweet.

"Can I ask you something?" Gibbs spoke quietly, his eyes focusing on her.

"Sure," she sighed, still trying to remember what the hell that had happened and why she was here in bed with him.

"Would it have been so awful if we would have slept together? Given your reaction earlier, I'm just curious."

She locked eyes with him and her cheeks flushed which he always adored. "Well it would have been wrong of us. You are with Col. Mann."

Gibbs sighed, rubbing his hand over his face. Right. Hollis.

"So, what now?" he then asked, making her arch her brow.

"What do you mean?"

"Don't you remember anything from last night?" he questioned, hoping so badly that she would because he had been completely honest with her.

Olivia rested her hand on her forehead as she desperately tried to remember. Obviously, it was important to him since he kept asking. However, so far she was still blank.

"Boss?!" DiNozzo's voice was suddenly heard from downstairs, which had Olivia and Gibbs both jolt up, though Olivia let out a painful moan.

DiNozzo heard the noise and quickly darted up the stairs, gun ready in his hands in case this wasn't his boss but instead an intruder.

"Gibbs?" DiNozzo questioned again as he moved closer to where the noise had come from.

"I'm in here, DiNozzo," Gibbs alerted while getting out of bed.