Chapter 22 - Holy Night

"You have to come, Olivia!" Abby pouted, arms crossed above her chest while she tried to give Olivia a look.

"Abby, come on. I don't feel all Christmasy and jolly like," Olivia whined, trying to look away.

Abby narrowed her eyes at her friend, which had Olivia cringe. But she was really just being honest. She really wasn't in a festive mood, despite Gibbs being fully healed and back again. She knew that she should be happy and grateful, especially since things were going great with him as well. They hadn't announced their relationship publicly eventhough a small handful at work knew about them. They were taking it very slow but honestly, it felt as if they had been together forever.

"Olivia!" Abby snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Sorry Abby. I will make it up to you, I promise!" Olivia swore while backing out of the lab but before she had the chance of turning on her heels, she bumped into something, or rather someone.

His hands softly fell to her hips, giving them a quick squeeze before he retreated from her while a goofy grin played across his lips when she turned to look up at him.

Abby had turned on her heels and was pouting, completely annoyed and disappointed.

Olivia smiled vaguely in return and then quickly rushed out.

The goofy grin faded as fast as she had left the lab and soon a confused frown appeared on his forehead. He exhaled and then crossed over to stand next to Abby but noticing her demeanor, Gibbs couldn't help but feel more worried now.

"What's going on with you and Olivia?"

"Nothing," Abby lied and typed furiously on her dashboard.

Gibbs watched her in silence for a moment.

"I still need some time on the samples, Gibbs. So if you are here to ask me about that then you can leave again," Abby grumbled moody.

He kept quiet but stepped closer to her, placing his hand above hers which had her stop typing.

"Abs, come on. What's going on? Why are you so upset?"

"Ask Olivia!" Abby shot at him, which had him blink even more confused.

"What did she do?"

"What did she NOT do?!" Abby fumed and crossed her arms above her chest.

"I'm not following."

"Of course you're not following. It's your fault anyway! If you hadn't been injured and almost died then she would be in a much better mood, and it would all be so much easier than continuously ask and whatnot. Really, Gibbs, I have no clue how I can get her to attend this. I just know that I have to get her to come. She has to be there! I mean, she is part of the family, so it's really important, Gibbs. Can't you see tha-."

Gibbs held up his hands and stepped into Abby's view, making her bite her tongue, "Whoa, hold up. How can my accident be at fault for whatever it is that you are wanting her to attend to? Besides, I'm all fine again. See?" He flashed her a smile.

"I KNOW THAT! But somehow Olivia doesn't! Or maybe she does but maybe something else is bothering her? Maybe she couldn't get over the fact that she was kept out of the loop? Or maybe did you piss her off? Did you do something to her?" Abby rambled on, trying to find a plausible explanation for Olivia's turndown.

"Abs!" Gibbs yelled, wanting her to snap out of that state. "You are not making any sense. What is it that she has to attend?"

"The Christmas ball, genius!"

Gibbs looked at Abby for a second.

"She declined?" he asked, frowning deeply. It wasn't that he was one to enjoy all these holiday celebrations after he had lost Shannon and Kelly but now? Now he honestly felt the seasonal mood capture him. He had been looking forward to attend this ball with her.