Chapter 28: Sayonara, Old Man

To call this an awkward situation was an understatement.

A couple of minutes had passed since the group of four had split up into two pairs of two with Alex going with Siegfried and Kiana going with Theresa.

Needless to say, Alex had kept awkwardly silent, not knowing how to engage in a conversation with the white haired male.

Not only that but Alex was also thinking about the current situation going on right now.

'The more I think about it, the more off putting this seems. Me and Kiana being here automatically should be causing changes to the present, especially now that we've encountered Theresa from the past and Siegfried, but I can't fathom why there would be a time traveling machine underground, beneath St. Freya. It could easily fall into the wrong hands.' Thought Alex before a question popped into his head.

'Wait. What if that isn't even a time traveling machine? What if, we were just sucked into a simulation?' Thought Alex.

Before Alex could further elaborate on his question, he felt a pat on the back as he looked up and saw Siegfried.

"Hey kid. You suddenly stopped moving there for a second." He said.

"O-Oh sorry about that. My apologies." Replied Alex as the two continued to walk as the man simply chuckled.

"No worries kiddo. I can tell that your thinking about a lot right now." He said.

"Like your one to talk. Shouldn't you be under tons of pressure right now? Your under a strict time limit to take down the Herrscher before your wife arrives here." Said Alex.

"Yeah I am, but personally I enjoy working with my back against the wall. Gives me even more motivation to turn the tables and beat the odds stacked against me." Said Siegfried as he clenched his fist and had a confident smile on his face.

'Looks like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Kiana definitely got her optimistic, upbeat confidence from her father.' Thought Alex.

"Besides, no matter what I need to try my absolute best to prevent Cecilia from coming here. I made a promise to protect and preserve my life with my wife and my daughter. I'll do anything neccessary to make sure that my happy family keeps going. Even if I have to die just to make sure that my wife and daughter get to keep living, then so be it that's the chance I'll take. I won't accept any form of failure." Said Siegfried in a more serious tone this time.

For giving such an awkward first impression with him unknowingly hitting on his future daughter, Alex began to understand Siegfried a bit more.

He was just an honest, upbeat man looking for some sort of joys on this battlefield, and that he definitely knew when to turn it up a notch and get serious.

"So then, what's the plan? We're gonna need to execute everything perfectly if we're gonna have to even be in a position to take down a Herrscher." Asked Alex.

"Honestly, even I don't know what'll go down. From what I've been told so far, this Herrecher is only a child. That means that its powers and what it does is highly unstable and unpredictable. We're just gonna have to hope that faith is on our side." Said Siegfried as Alex sighed.

"Oh lovely. Faith." He said sarcastically before getting a pat on the back from the older Kaslana.

"Oh cheer up boy! With me by your side everything should go okay!" He said with a confident smile.

'The fact that he can go from being serious to now confident in just a split second amazes me.' Thought Alex.

Eventually the conversation died out as the two quickly approached the area where the Herrscher was reportedly seen.