Chapter 56

Not having the energy to go up to her dorm, Mia sat down on a couch in the Ravenclaw Common Room and hugged her bag tightly to her chest. She sat there alone in complete silence, lost in her thoughts.

After a while, she was brought back to reality by Sage, who suddenly sat down next to her.

"I'm so glad that this is our last year," she groaned. "These classes are killing me..."

"Yeah..." Mia answered half-heartedly.

Sage turned to look at her with a frown. "You're not supposed to react like this. You should question me, you know I love school, you should ask me what I'm talking about, or at least ask if I want to start working instead."

"Oh... right, working..." Mia nodded.

"Girl!" Sage pushed her lightly. "Were you kissed by a dementor on your way up the tower or something? What's wrong?"

Mia furrowed her eyebrows. "Where do you want to work after we finish school?"

"I'll probably work at the Ministry, why?" She gave her a suspicious look.

"What do you think about working at the MACUSA?" Mia asked quietly.

Sage's eyes widened. "What?!"

"I'm just asking –"

"Mia!" Sage straightened her posture. "Why are you asking me about the Magical Congress of the United States of America all of a sudden? Because that's what that abbreviation stands for in case you forgot."

"I'm aware," Mia rolled her eyes.

"I don't think you are," Sage leaned closer to her. "You shouldn't be asking me about that place when I know very well that you want to be a Transfiguration Professor! Isn't that why you became a –"

"I know!" Mia raised her voice. "Do you not think I know?! I was just asking –"

"But why?!" Sage ran a hand through her hair. "Mia, what happened?"

She sighed, tightening her hold around her bag.

"Wait... didn't you make Amortentia today?" Sage asked. "Is that it? What did you smell?"

"A few things," Mia shrugged.

"Okay, that's normal," Sage crossed her arms. "It can happen if you're attracted to multiple things –"

"You see, that's my problem!" Mia snapped, making Sage freeze. "I can never just like or want one thing and be at peace with my decision!"

Sage blinked. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but... I don't think this is about jobs, is it?"

Mia let out a frustrated sigh. "What about Australia?"

"Australia?" Sage asked back in disbelief. "Yeah, sure. Just go to the other side of the world while you're at it."

"I might," Mia nodded. "I don't think that liking things suits me, to be honest. It never ends well."

"Girl, what are you on about? I'm so lost right now," Sage put a hand on her shoulder. "What is really the problem here?"

"I should've just kept to myself..." Mia mumbled, then threw her bag on the ground. "I mean, I was always doing good by myself, I never asked either of them to come into my life!"

Sighing, Sage picked Mia's bag up and put it down on the sofa. "Did you smell both of them?" She asked as quietly as she could.

Mia didn't answer.

"Ah..." Sage leaned back slowly. "Was the scent of the United States stronger, then? Is that why you're suddenly asking about the MACUSA?"

"I don't know," Mia shook her head. "I really don't know any more, but maybe I don't even want to know, I just want to be left alone –"