Chapter 8

Now that even the youngest Malfoy kid was old enough to go to Hogwarts, the only two people remaining in the Mansion were Katherine and Draco Malfoy.

Katherine was in the living room when she noticed a white and light brown Barn Owl floating in front of the window with a letter attached to its leg. Feeling excited, she went to open the window and let Crystal – Mia's owl – inside.

"Hello," she greeted the animal, then closed the window.

Crystal settled on the coffee table and reached her leg out. Katherine took the letter from her, then the owl flew inside the cage in the living room that they kept there for times like this.

Instead of opening Mia's letter straight away, Katherine walked up the stairs and started heading towards Draco's office. When she arrived, she knocked on the shiny black door.

"Come in."

She went inside, then she sat down on the sofa that he kept inside his office. Draco was sitting behind his desk, writing something.

"What is it, sweetheart?" He asked, putting his quill down.

"I just got a letter from Mia," she said excitedly.

"So?"

Katherine shot him a glare. "So, she must have written about Kaden's sorting."

"What house is he in?"

"I haven't read it yet!"

"What are you waiting for, then?" He raised his eyebrows. "Go on."

Frowning, she opened the letter and looked down to see Mia's handwriting.

"Dear Mum,

Since it's only the beginning of the year, I don't have much to inform you about besides Kaden's sorting. I don't think it will come as a surprise to you, but he was sorted into Gryffindor. He seems happy with the Sorting Hat's choice. He also made a friend already whose name is Albus Severus Potter, that name might sound familiar to you. Yes, he is his son. Anyway, there's nothing else for me to say. I'm fine, hope you are too.

Mia"

"Well?" He asked after a while. "Are you going to tell me which house he got sorted into, or do I have to guess?"

She turned to look at him with a calm expression on her face. "He's a Gryffindor."

A few silent seconds later he finally decided to talk.

"Excuse me, Katherine. Perhaps I heard you wrong," Draco leaned forwards. "I thought you said... Gryffindor."

"No, you heard me correctly," she nodded. "Kaden is a Gryffindor."

Draco closed his eyes, then he ran his hands over his face frustratedly.

"Come on," Katherine gave him a pleading look, even though he couldn't see it. "It's really not a big deal."

"We should have stopped at three," he commented quietly.

"Excuse me?!"

He put his hands down and looked into her eyes. "I told you he spends too much time with Bennett and his son, but you didn't listen! Now look what you've done! He's one of them!"

"So it's my fault?!" Katherine crossed her arms over her chest.

He decided not to answer that. "Is there anything else in that letter I should know about?" He asked instead.

"Well... Apparently he became friends with a boy called... Albus Severus Potter."

"WHAT?!"

"Draco –"

"Kaden is friends with... with a Potter? What are the odds?!" He leaned back in his chair. "I mean... I suppose... it's fine... not the end of the world, really..."

"There you go!" Katherine smiled. "I'm sure he's lovely."

"Albus Severus Potter, though?" Draco frowned. "He named his son after Dumbledore and Snape? I get the Dumbledore one, but Snape? He wasn't exactly his favourite... Oh well, nice gesture, I suppose, but still... sounds kind of strange, doesn't it? Albus Severus Potter... Imagine if he's a terrible wizard with that name, that would be embarrassing."

"Can you not make fun of a literal child?"

"I wasn't making fun of him!"

"Well, that's all Mia wrote anyway," Katherine stood up. "I better go and feed Crystal before I send her back."

"Okay, but I'll ask Mason if Kaden really is a Gryffindor or not... just to make sure."

"Do you think your daughter is a liar?!" She narrowed her eyes.

"No, no... but I'll ask Mason anyway..."

"You're unbelievable."

"I'll join you in the living room in a bit, I'll just finish this and write a quick letter to –"

"Mason, yeah, I know," she nodded.

"Kat," Draco stared into her eyes. "I'm sorry. I overreacted a little, but if he's happy, then I'm happy for him. And I'm glad he has a friend already. Also, I do believe Mia, but I wanted to write to Mason anyway, so I might as well ask."

She nodded. "I understand."

"Love you, sweetheart," he sent her a gentle smile.

Katherine smiled back at him. "I love you too."

She turned around and opened the door.

"Careful on the stairs, love," Draco called after her jokingly.

"Oh, hush!" Katherine chuckled.

She left his office with Mia's letter in her hand and went back to the living room, ready to feed the hungry owl that was waiting for her.