Chapter 47

The dungeons were quite dark and deserted with only a few students walking by the raging Gryffindor every once in a while, who kept looking for the Slytherin Common Room.

He ran a hand through his hair frustratedly, then he heard a familiar voice.

"Why so tense, Potter?"

Turning to the side, James noticed Mason standing a few steps away from him with an amused look on his face.

"You look different today," Mason said after looking at his outfit. "Still pathetic, of course, but somewhat stylish. Anyway, what are you doing down here? Shouldn't you be up in your tower with your other princess friends?"

James clenched his jaw while taking a step closer to him. "Where is the Slytherin Common Room?"

Mason crossed his arms across his chest. "Why, what business do you have there, lion boy?"

"I need to talk to my brother," he answered him with narrowed eyes.

"Ooh, are you perhaps mad at him?"

James scoffed. "That's an understatement."

Mason smirked. "Well, in that case, I will bring him to you."

"Really?"

"Yes," he nodded. "Just wait here and try not to explode. Or don't, it's not like I'd care."

"Fine, hurry," James muttered.

"I don't think you're in a position to give orders to me, Potter," Mason grimaced, then he turned on his heels and walked away from him, disappearing in the dark.

James leaned against the wall, his shoulders tense and his jaw clenched. It felt like forever to him, but after a few minutes he noticed the two Slytherin boys walking towards him, so he pushed himself off of the wall.

"Here he is," Mason announced. "Go ahead."

He took a few steps away from the brothers but remained close enough to witness their interaction.

"Hey, what –" Albus started, but was cut off by James, who grabbed him by the neck of his jumper.

"What the hell were you thinking, Al?!" He questioned. "How could you do that?!"

His eyes widened in shock. "What do you mean?! What did I do?!"

"I know what you did to Mia!" James glared down into his green eyes. "How could you?!"

"Wait," Mason frowned. "Mia? What's with her?"

James ignored him. "I know what you did, so tell me! How could you?!"

Albus looked down at the ground, feeling ashamed. "I –"

"Look at me!" James demanded.

Narrowing his eyebrows, Albus freed himself and looked back into his brother's eyes. "Mia and I already talked things through, so there's no need for this, James. I feel awful about it anyway, so I'd prefer if you kept your opinion to yourself."

James raised one of his fists, then pointed a finger at Albus. "Do not act like it's something you can just brush off, Albus. What you did was extremely wrong –"

"Well, look at you telling me about what's wrong," Albus rolled his eyes. "I wasn't the one who stalked and annoyed her for years, was I?"

James straightened up. "Oh, you want to play like this, huh? Okay, let's go, then –"

"Calm yourself, Potter," Mason spoke up. "We're nowhere near the Hospital Wing, so relax those muscles, will you?"

James turned to look at him. "For your information, Albus here gave your sister a love potion during the break."

Mason snorted. "A love potion? I mean, she's kind of emotionless, so I get it, but what I don't get, is... how is he still alive?"

"Because Mia is nice," James stated, then he turned back to Albus. "Since when do you even like her?"

"Does it matter?"

"Well... do you still like her?" James raised his eyebrows.

"No, so don't worry," he said while taking a step backwards. "Can I go back now? I kind of have an essay to finish."

James frowned. "You don't look like you regret it that much."

Albus groaned. "I do, okay?! I do, but I don't want to think about it anymore! I screwed up, and now I'm dealing with the consequences, so let me bloody be, alright?!"

Not giving him a chance to continue, Albus turned around and stormed away, leaving the two seventh-years alone.

"He's unbelievable," James muttered.

Mason smoothed his clothes down. "You both are. Anyway, are you and Mia really together now?"

"No –"

"I knew it," he nodded. "Well, I believe I've heard enough."

Without saying goodbye, the blonde turned on his heels and left.

James let out a frustrated sigh, then he put his hands inside his pockets and started heading back towards the Gryffindor Common Room.

On his way, he noticed the Head Boy walking towards him, and he suddenly thought of something.

"Hey, Lewis!" He greeted the Hufflepuff, who glanced at him, then smiled.

"Oh, hi, James," he stopped in front of him. "How are you?"

"I'm alright," James shrugged. "What about you? How's the Head Boy life treating you?"

"Good, good," Lewis nodded.

"Yeah? You have your own separate living area too, right? That must be fun."

He cleared his throat, his cheeks reddening slightly. "Oh, yeah... it's... uh..."

"What is it?" James tilted his head to the side. "Is the Head Girl a pain? She's called Bethany, right?"

"Yes, but no... she's quite the opposite, actually," Lewis chuckled nervously.

"Oh," James' eyes widened. "Are you two together?"

"No!" Lewis put his hands up. "No, no, we're not, it's just..." He looked around, then leaned a bit closer to James. "Between you and me, I've fancied her for a while, so it's a little... hard. You know, living with her and everything."

"Why don't you just tell her how you feel, then?"

"Well, I wanted to, but the situation is just never right somehow... I mean, there were a few moments where I almost told her, but then she just... left before I could get the words out," Lewis admitted sadly. "I've been trying to let her know, but... yeah..."

"I see," James crossed his arms across his chest. "You know what? I think I have an idea."

"An idea?" Lewis frowned.

James nodded. "Okay, here's the thing. I've been thinking..."