7 - She Lives

Amelia awoke in her own room back at the mansion. When she had lost consciousness back at the expo, she hadn't expected to wake up. Yet, here she was, alive and well. In fact, she was feeling better than ever. She let out a huff of air as she sat up. She felt absolutely no residual pain from what she assumed had been the night before.

"JARVIS?" she called out. "How long have I been out?"

"36 hours, Miss Stark," JARVIS told her. She widened her eyes in shock. "Would you like me to inform Mr Stark that you are awake?"

"Please. But tell him I'll meet him in the workshop."

"Yes, miss."

Amelia quickly changed her clothes. The sun had just risen over the horizon and cast a warm glow across her room through the large window. She watched colours of orange and yellow dance over the ocean outside. Holding up her hand, she replicated it with fire from her fingertips. It gave her a sense of calm to see her powers in such a small capacity after what she had just done. The fire felt friendlier now, more natural than ever before. It was malleable, almost. Amelia move her other hand upwards and willed the fire to change, moulding it until it was a thin string between her two hands. She could shape it however she wanted. Smiling to herself, she turned to exit the room.

"Holy shit," Amelia gasped as she spotted herself in her mirror. Behind her was a brilliant pair of flaming wings, larger than the ones she could produce with her suit. She was making them on her own. And she could feel them, like extra limbs on her back. Taking a deep breath, she let them dissipate.

The workshop was quiet when Amelia got there: no music, no Tony shouting at his robots. It was just silence. Tony sat in the same car they had sat in when Rhodey had found out he had been dying.

"Tony?" she called out and he whipped around. He stood quickly, walking over and embracing his sister in a tight hug. "Are you ok?"

"I should be asking you that," he countered. He let out a shaky breath. Only Amelia and Pepper ever saw this vulnerable side of him. He looked emotionally exhausted. "I thought you died, Ames. We couldn't get to you for two hours until the fires were put out. I'm sorry I left you behind."

"It's fine, Tony. Is Pepper ok?"

"She's good," he said. "She's more than good. She's my girlfriend. I think."

"It's about time!" Amelia exclaimed, a bright smile on her face. Tony's heart swelled at seeing his sister not only ok but back to her happy self. "I've been waiting for you two to get together for years."

"Yeah, me too," he replied, giving her a fond smile. "I'm glad you're ok."

"To be honest I didn't think I would be. I didn't know if I could pull off that whole absorption thing."

"So you were just prepared to die?"

"Of course not," she said. "I would have died there anyway. I was trying to survive. And ended up making myself twice as powerful in the process. I think. I'm gonna have to test some things out."

"Well," Tony started. "I'll be happy to help you with that. Also, Fury wants to speak with us. He's been waiting for a notice that you were back in the land of the living."

"I'm feeling good," she confirmed. "Let's do it."