3 - The Right Thing

In Vienna, Amelia had to keep reminding herself that she was doing the right thing. She didn't sign the Accords simply because her brother did, although many probably believed that to be the case. She had done it because, even though she had full control of her powers, she didn't always have full control of their effects. The woman often wondered, if it was put into numbers, what her kill count would be. Would it be in the hundreds? Thousands? And how many of those were innocents? While the power of Hellfire and the Mind Stone saved a lot of lives, it also destroyed many others.

Natasha and Amelia were dressed appropriately to take their place in the conference room. It was a little daunting to have so many government officials all in one room and from so many different countries all there to decide the fate of the Avengers. It had to be done, she kept saying in her head. It had to be done.

"Excuse me, Miss Romanoff? Miss Stark?" a member of the UN staff called out to the pair. She held out some papers. "These need your signatures."

"Thank you," Natasha said as the pair signed. The woman smiled between them and thanked her back.

"I suppose neither of us is used to the spotlight," a voice spoke from behind. They turned to see Prince T'Challa of Wakanda. "But you are, Miss Stark."

"Oh, well, it's not always so flattering," Nat remarked.

"And my brother does better with it than me, whether I'm used to it or not," Amelia added.

"You seem to be doing all right so far," he reassured with a kind smile. He looked to Natasha. "Considering your last trip to Capitol Hill, I wouldn't think you'd be particularly comfortable in this company."

"Well, I'm not."

"And that alone makes me glad you are here, Miss Romanoff," he said.

"Why? You don't approve of all this?" Amelia asked.

"The Accords, yes," he answered. "The politics, not really. Two people in a room can get more done than a hundred."

"Unless you need to move a piano," another voice cut in. King T'Chaka. "Miss Romanoff. Miss Stark."

"King T'Chaka," Nat greeted. Amelia gave the man a kind and apologetic smile. "Please, allow us to apologise for what happened in Nigeria."

"Thank you," he replied. "Thank you for agreeing to all of this. I'm sad to hear that Captain Rogers will not be joining us today."

"Yes, so are we," Amelia sighed.

"If everyone could please be seated," a voice called over a loudspeaker. "This assembly is now in session."

"That is the future calling," T'Challa chuckled. He shook each of the women's hands. "Such a pleasure."

"Thank you," Nat responded. With one final smile, the pair made their way to their seats. Amelia watched as the father and son spoke quietly, embracing before the King then took the podium.

"When stolen Wakandan vibranium was used to make a terrible weapon, we in Wakanda were forced to question our legacy," he spoke. Amelia twiddled her thumbs in her lap as she listened. "Those men and women killed in Nigeria were part of a goodwill mission from a country too long in the shadows. We will not, however, let misfortune drive us back. We will fight to improve the world we wish to join. I am grateful to the Avengers for supporting this initiative. Wakanda is proud to extend its hand in peace."

"Everybody get down!" T'Challa yelled and ran across the room to push his father to the ground.

While Natasha moved behind the table they were sat at, Amelia kicked into gear. She didn't care if she was in the middle of a conference hall about to sign away her right to use her powers freely, she was going to use them now. She ignited her wings and flew to the windows, throw up a huge solid fire shield that blocked half the blast. It was already too late, though, because by the time she had thrown it up or absorbed some of the blast, King T'Chaka was already hit. She released her hold on the shield, ears ringing, watching in horror as T'Challa crawled back over to his father. He wept as he died in his arms.