2 - Compromise Where You Can

It took Wanda a week to leave her room, only speaking to Vision and Amelia and only then when necessary. The two would bring her food and generally check up on the Sokovian girl to ensure she didn't completely spiral. After that, she spent the following weeks pacing around the compound. Steve tried his best to talk to her but the words had minimal impact.

"11 Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation," the news reporter on the  TV spoke. Amelia sat next to Steve in the compound. "-between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred."

"Our people's blood is spilt on foreign soil," the Wakandan king then spoke. "Not only because of the actions of criminals but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent... is no victory at all."

"It wasn't indifference," Amelia whispered. "We- we did all we could."

The woman wasn't even sure if she believed her own words. She had put on a brave face for Wanda, but Steve could always see through the cracks of her facade so she didn't even both with him. Ever since visiting MIT with Tony, it weighed heavily on her that, perhaps, the Avengers weren't as good as they hoped to be. That Amelia was intended for nothing but destruction after all.

"The Wakandan king went on to-" the news reporter continued, but Steve turned it off. Now that it was quiet, they could hear the sound of someone else speaking in the compound. Amelia sprang up first, knowing exactly where it was coming from.

"They are operating outside and above the international law," the reporter said. "Because that's the reality, if we don't respond to acts like these. What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeri-"

This time it was Amelia's turn to switch off the TV. She made a beeline for Wanda, plopping down next to her and pulling the girls head to her chest for a tight hug. Steve stayed leant against the doorway. She was the helicopter parent.

"It's my fault," Wanda sighed.

"That's not true."

"Turn the TV back on," she instructed. "They're being very specific."

"You know, it's literally my power to deal with things like that," Amelia said. "But I didn't. I wasn't fast enough."

"And I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it," Steve added. He walked into the room and sat on the other side of Wanda. "Rumlow said 'Bucky' and all of a sudden I was a 16-year-old kid again, in Brooklyn. And people died. It's on me."

"It's on all of us," Wanda corrected, looking to her new mother figure who smiled at her sadly with a nod.

"This job... We try to save as many people as we can," Steve continued. "Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that... then next time... maybe nobody gets saved."

All of a sudden, Vision phased through the wall of the bedroom. All three of them turned to look at the synthezoid.

"Vis! We talked about this," Wanda scolded him. Amelia quietly laughed. She could see the relationship blossoming between the two.

"Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that..." he trailed off. "Captain Rogers and Miss Stark wished to know when Mr Stark was arriving."

"Thank you," Steve said. "We'll be right down."

"I'll use the door," Vision remarked and made to leave before turning back around. "Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest."

"We know who it is?"