Chapter 10: Majarlika

Majarlika De Luna

"Tama ba?"

Majarlika's lips formed a grim line. She folded her legs up and pulled them closer to her chest. 

She was recalling that night. When Grale thought she was suicidal and trying to drown herself. When Grale held her waist tightly, shaking. And she was holding on to his shoulders, leaning and gripping.

"Do you want to hear a story?" She shot him a side glance. 

Grale nodded at her, eyes in full concentration. As if he's afraid she'd leave any moment.

"Nung bata pa ako madalas akong dalhin ng parents ko rito sa resort. That's the only time I was allowed to travel outside Pampanga. And every year since then, I anticipated going here. Gumigising ako palagi nang maaga pagkatapos sasamahan ko si daddy na maglakad lakad dito sa tabing dagat. He likes walking a lot, so maybe I got it from him. We were just walking and talking about random things with each other. He often asked about my dreams and encouraged me to pursue them no matter what. I liked that about him a lot. Kasi pakiramdam ko sa tuwing sinasabihan niya akong abutin ang mga pangarap ko, hindi niya ako tinatayuan ng mga bakod sa paligid ko."

Majarlika paused as the cold wind of the night blew her hair and she tucked it behind her ear.

"But my mom… she's a total opposite of him. She hates mornings. She hates leaving the bed. At palagi ko siyang nakikita rito sa dalampasigan tuwing palubog na ang araw. She was just here, standing—sometimes sitting—and just staring blankly at the sun being swallowed by the sea. And I always wondered back then what's going on inside her mind every time she was here. Does she love the sunset so much that  she has to wait for it every single day?"

Majarlika inhaled a deep breath, tasting the acid taste in her throat she tried her best to swallow that the guy next to her didn't even know existed. 

"Until I had the courage to ask dad about it. Bakit laging nasa tabi ng dagat si mommy tuwing sunset? What's so special about it?"

Majarlika glanced at Grale who was already staring at her. 

"And you know what my dad's answer was?" She inhaled. "He said, 'your mom lost something in between the sky and sea, Majarlika. and up until now she was still waiting for it to come back to her.'"

Majarlika showed a small, bitter smile and shook her head and then returned her gaze in front. 

"Majarlika…"

In one deep breath, Majarlika spoke again, "Noong una hindi ko naiintindihan kung anong ibig sabihin ni daddy. Kung ano ba yung bagay na nawala ni mommy. I was barely ten years old. Ignorant and sheltered. What could I do? And then I was growing up… a lot of things happened. A lot of things have changed. But my mother's eyes… they remained the same."

"That night… you were here because you were trying to search for it. What your mom had lost…"

For the first time, her lips drew a sad smile and she allowed him to see through it. Grale's eyes that stared at her were soft as the morning clouds. Majarlika felt good somehow. 

Somehow, deep inside her Majarlika recognized what her mother had lost. Maybe, time had shown it to her or maybe this place has had. 

Because every time she's here. Whenever she spends time adoring the sunset here, she couldn't help but associate this place with her mother's scent. As if this place is her. As if they share the same soul.

"Grale, pwede ba akong humingi ng favor?" Majarlika turned at him

The guy nodded in a heartbeat. "Anything, Majarlika. Just ask."