The Neighbour's Wife

CHAPTER 23

"Sweetheart! I told you to put labels on these boxes so we know which is which." The woman searched for you as she check the boxes in the hallway, they were stacked according to sizes and some were lying around still unlabelled but already sealed.

Jolting at your partner's voice, you quickly put away the tiny album that got your mind sidetracked, "Oh yeah right! Sorry, I kinda forgot?" hurrying, you dumped it in the box next to you, quickly covering any traces and grabbing the tape and scissors for the unsealed boxes and a sharpie for labelling.

The album belonged to Billie. Early that day right after Billie went out for an errand, you volunteered to finish packing up the rest of her belongings, and while on it, as you got deeper into her closet you found this cardboard box filled with pictures, personal letters, and notebooks bonded together with a tie. It was like finding a treasure chest inside a closet filled with treasure already.

It was not your intention to snoop around but the bottom of the cardboard loosened as you picked it up to move in a larger box, all of its content slipped and that was when you saw her tiny photo album.

"The truck's going to be here in less than thirty minutes. I'll pack the rest of my clothes alright? You try and label these boxes."

"Aye-aye captain!" Although tired from moving around so much this day Billie still managed to put a smile on her lips, sauntering over you for a chaste kiss.

"I can't believe we're doing this." you gestured around. Everything was stripped off.

Billie's apartment was now just a shell, an empty one. Cardboard boxes filling the hallway, sheets covering the couch and other furniture that the two of you decided to not bring along.

For the last six years of staying here, almost a year alone and the rest of it living with you. Billie was now ready to take another leap and move on with you of course, the woman would not go anywhere without you excluding work matters of course it was a different talk.

Billie and you had decided to settle down in a nice real house located in a pleasant neighbourhood- a very pleasant one, one that didn't even enter in your head when the two of you were house hunting.

SOMEWHERE AROUND SIX MONTHS AGO

"'A nice neighbourhood around downtown L.A with the lowest crime rate'" you heard Billie muttering to herself, black framed glasses perched on the bridge of her nose and you laptop on her lap. Face heavily flushed, you immediately dried your hands after finishing the last of the dirty dishes.

It was a mistake that you had left your laptop open and now there was a smirk playing on your partner's lips, eyes squinting at you through her glasses.

"Billie!" sitting yourself beside her, you stole the device from her lap and shut it off. Heartbeat thumping so fast as if you just got caught doing the most embarrassing thing possible.

"This isn't for us...I'm searching for Pete...I'm helping him-sort of." You defended, eyes not meeting the woman's gazes. Instead, you took the remote from the coffee table and flicked through the channels like that would be an excuse from talking to the woman who was just right beside you.

From your peripheral view, you saw her removing her blazer and discarding her shoes.

"Well while you're at it maybe you could look a place for us too." The woman commented, taking the remote from your grip and settling herself on the couch into a much comfortable position.

Dumbfounded, you forced yourself to look at her direction, "What?"

Billie shrugged, "You know 'a nice neighbourhood' for us." With a smile still playing on her lips. It was so casually said aloud that you had your mind thinking if this was really happening. Was she joking? You didn't know what to feel at the moment.