chapter 39 Second task

Y/n's pov

"Of course, the ideal solution would be for you to Transfigure yourself into a submarine or something," Hermione said. "If only we'd done human Transfiguration already! But I don't think we start that until sixth year, and it can go badly wrong if you don't know what you're doing...."

"Yeah, I don't fancy walking around with a periscope sticking out of my head," says Harry. "I s'pose I could always attack someone in front of Moody; he might do it for me...."

"Shh let me imagine that." I say closing my eyes.

"I don't think he'd let you choose what you wanted to be turned into, though," says Hermione seriously. "No, I think your best chance is some sort of charm."

We were sittimg in the library as the sun set outside, tearing feverishly through page after page of spells, hidden from one another by the massive piles of books on the desk in front of each of them.

"I don't reckon it can be done," says Ron's voice flatly from the other side of the table. "There's nothing. Nothing. Closest was that thing to dry up puddles and ponds, that Drought Charm, but that was nowhere near powerful enough to drain the lake."

"There must be something," Hermione muttered, moving a candle closer to her. Her eyes were so tired she was poring over the tiny print of Olde and Forgotten Bewitchments and Charmes with her nose about an inch from the page.

"They'd never have set a task that was undoable." I say flipping a page.

"They have," says Ron. "Harry, just go down to the lake tomorrow, right, stick your head in, yell at the merpeople to give back whatever they've nicked, and see if they chuck it out. Best you can do, mate."

"There's a way of doing it!" Hermione says crossly. "There just has to be!"

"I know what I should have done," says Harry, resting, face-down, on Saucy Tricks for Tricky Sorts. "I should've learned to be an Animagus like Sirius."

"Yeah, you could've turned into a goldfish any time you wanted!" says Ron.

"Or a frog," yawned Harry.

"It takes years to become an Animagus, and then you have to register yourself and everything," I say. "Grandma Minnie told us, remember...you've got to register yourself with the Improper Use of Magic Office...what animal you become, and your markings, so you can't abuse it..."

"y/n, I was joking," says Harry wearily. "I know I haven't got a chance of turning into a frog by tomorrow morning...."

"Oh this is no use," Hermione says, snapping shut Weird Wizarding Dilemmas. "Who on earth wants to make their nose hair grow into ringlets?"

"Sirius would do it to Snape I bet you." I say closing my book and leaning back in my chair.

"I wouldn't mind either," says Fred Weasley's voice. "Be a talking point, wouldn't it?"

Fred and George had just emerged from behind some bookshelves.

"Brothers what's up." I say yowning.

"What're you two doing here?" Ron asked.

"Looking for y/n," says George. "McGonagall wants y/n And you, Hermione."

"Why?" says Hermione, looking surprised.

"Dunno...she was looking a bit grim, though," says Fred.

"We're supposed to take you down to her office," says George.

"We'll meet you back in the common room," Hermione tells Harry. "Bring as many of these books as you can, okay?"

"Right," says Harry uneasily.