Alliance and Another Gamble

Levi was disappointed, but not surprised.

Eren's hardening experiments didn't go well that day, so he had to deliver reports to Erwin, who had just been discharged from the hospital and was now staying in a temporary room, and the first thing Levi noticed when he'd entered was the large bump underneath the sheets of the single bed. He didn't even need to see to know who it was.

"If the plan would have worked out, we could have plugged the hole in Shiganshina District in less than a day," Erwin mused after Levi gave his briefing.

"It's because we lack information," said Levi, his eyes fixated on the large bump as it shifted every now and then. So she's not sleeping. "Might be a different story if there was a book about the hardening ability. But we have Christa.. no, Historia Reiss. Maybe we learn about the wall through her?"

"I read the entire report about her upbringing," Erwin said. "She's the illegitimate daughter of Lord Reiss, and it's by no means a happy story."

The bump on the bed twitched, and Levi had to resist rolling his eyes. "Oi. You're at least wearing clothes under there, aren't you?"

The figure beneath the covers shifted, until it was aggressively kicked and Isanna sat, fully clothed, and Levi internally sighed in relief.

"Of course I am, dobe," she spat.

"Who spit in your food today?"

Isanna clicked her tongue and rolled on her side facing the wall, marking the end of their conversation.

Levi shot a questioning look at Erwin, who only lightly shook his head.

"She's been in a sour mood since this morning," he said.

"For what?" asked Levi.

Erwin sighed, and Levi had a feeling they'd been going at each other for a while now.

"For a silly reason," Erwin said.

"It's not silly!"

Levi deadpanned at them. He stood from his seat and decided to head back to his squad in case they'd accidentally set the cottage on fire. And, he thought he'd give these two some privacy in the meantime.

"The both of you are disgusting," Levi said with his usual dead voice as he stood by the door, hand on the knob. "Erwin, I'll send a messenger every now and then." I don't want to be third-wheeling every time I give a report, he mentally added.

After bidding farewell, Levi shut the door and silence crept inside the room. Erwin placed the paper in his hand down on the table near the window and looked outside. The streets were barren, the night cold.

Speaking of cold..

Erwin glanced over his shoulder and stared at the silent figure of the woman who was laying on his bed. That same woman who was in a sour mood for only one reason.

"Are you still sulking because I shaved my beard?" he said.

Isanna jerked into a sitting position and pursed her lips in annoyance. "I told you to leave it on."

"It doesn't look neat."

"You looked good with it."

"Are you insinuating I don't without it?"

"No, but you definitely look hotter with a beard."

This conversation was getting nowhere, Erwin thought. Isanna had the weirdest fetishes. He walked over. "You can be such a child sometimes."