Epilogue: His Promise

A nine-year old girl came bounding down the stairs of her home, footsteps thundering in excitement.

"Lauren! No running!"

"Sorry!" she yelled back, tone definitely not apologetic as the smile in her lips never left her. Today was going to be fun, she thought. Her dad—adoptive father, if you will—told her he was visiting the orphanage for some updates. He was a council head, tasked to help run the orphanage that had been personally supported by the Queen herself, located somewhere in the rural area of Wall Rose.

And, just like her father's previous visits, Lauren was coming with him.

The orphanage was one of her favorite places to go to, especially after meeting new friends there who were around the same age as her. Maybe it was also because she came from one before her current family took her in, but she felt a connection between the kids there. Except for this girl named Ella—Lauren wouldn't go so far as to say she hated the girl, just that there was this sort of rivalry between them going on. It all started when Ella made fun of her favorite pink bear plush which she always carried around with her, which led Lauren to attack her—and by attack, that meant a tug of war but with hair instead of ropes.

To Lauren's defense, she was very attached to that bear plush. Although she could never put a finger as to why.

"What's all the fuss this early in the morning?"

Lauren turned and saw her adoptive mother stepping out of the kitchen, apron hanging around her waist, a hand on her hip, and a ladle on the other.

She beamed. "We're going to the orphanage, mum!"

Her mother, a beautiful woman in her early forties, sighed but with hints of a smile. "You're not leaving without breakfast. Come over here."

"Eh? But.. Dad and I can get food on the way—"

"No buts, young lady," a third voice interrupted behind her, startling her. She whizzed around and pouted at the towering figure of an auburn-haired man with a growing stubble around his chin.

"And what do you mean we can get food on the way?" The man ruffled her hair as he ushered her into the kitchen. "There's food here at home."

Lauren huffed, but followed inside nonetheless. She seated herself beside the dining table, where a meal and plates had already been set. As the family of three settled themselves around the table to enjoy a hearty breakfast, Lauren's mother decided to ask her father if he had any other places to stop by besides the orphanage for today.

He swallowed a piece of food first before answering. "I'll stop by the HQ at Mitras. The Scouts are heading over to Liberio later—y'know, that Marleyan city I told you about, and I need to be there for the meeting."

Her parent's conversation flew through Lauren's ears from one to the next, preoccupied in finishing her food quick so that they can leave for the orphanage sooner.

Lauren had little care for what was happening to the world beyond their walls. All she knew was that there were enemies on the other side of the ocean, and that the titans were not their sole enemies all along. Other than that, she just wanted to spend her days in bliss like any other nine-year-old.

"Oh right, Lauren," her dad called for her attention. "Refrain from causing trouble with Ella later, okay?"

She pouted. "She's always the one who picks a fight with me."

"Doesn't mean you should be easily provoked," her dad sighed, lightly bonking her head.

"No way! If she wants a fight, I'll give it to her!"