Omen

"The Sergeant Major.. is really good with children, isn't she?"

"Kinda shocking."

Armin listened as Eren and Jean continued their little chitchat. They were hanging about leisurely outside one of the farmhouses in the eastern rural of Wall Rose, just a few kilometers away from Wall Sina. It's been about a month since the old monarchy had been overthrown, and a month since the new military regime had taken over matters within the walls.

In the span of a month, a lot had been progressing.

As soldier morale was high, an abundance of transfers had been processed. Soldiers from both the Military Police and Garrison were queueing up to transfer to the Survey Corps, most of whom were the younger ones, and training had intensified.

To add, Historia had decided to open a large orphanage, with the direct support of Isanna and, surprisingly, Levi. The 104th cadets were currently in the orphanage, providing Historia assistance with its management in the meantime.

"I used to think she was the type you shouldn't mess with," Jean commented as she watched Isanna at the other end of the farm lawn, sitting on a crate while leaning against the wooden fence. She had one of the young girls sitting on her lap while she did her braids, and the other children had her surrounded. Judging by the way they were all animatedly talking, she was most likely telling them a fun story.

"If I didn't know better, I would have thought she was a mom," Jean finished, earning a snort from Eren.

"Does looking at her make you miss your mom, Jean-boy?"

Armin suppressed a smile as both boys entered another harmless banter. Ignoring them, he returned his gaze over towards the Sergeant Major at the distance. The other girls—Mikasa and Sasha, had also joined the small group. That was another thing Armin noticed: Isanna had gotten considerably closer with them as well since she often stopped by at the orphanage to help for the past month.

Since the Sergeant Major did not interact often with the younger cadets, it was only understandable that a few of them found this soft side of her surprising. In a good way, of course. Along with the influx of positive news that have been coming their way for the past weeks, everything felt too good to be true.

With a contented smile, Armin wished for this peace to last long.

::

"Isanna-san, you're really good at braiding!"

Isanna looked up and realized that Sasha and Mikasa had arrived and joined their little story-telling get-to-together. She smiled at the two as they got nearer. "Thanks. I learned from a friend a long time ago. Glad to know my hands still remember," she slightly chuckled as she continued to deftly twist the strands around together.

It was a windy morning. The sun was not harsh, and the sky was painted a beautiful blue. Paired with the calming backdrop of greenery, it was the perfect therapeutic break for stressed out soldiers like them.

She asked if they were done helping Historia organize things inside the farmhouse, and they told her that lunch would most like be finished in a while now.

"Is it okay for you to be here today?" Sasha asked, tilting her head. Isanna thought she was imagining things but upon closer inspection, there were tiny crumbs of bread around Sasha's lip. She guessed someone took their lunch a few minutes earlier than planned. "I heard things at HQ got busier.."

Smiling, Isanna shook her head. "Whenever I'm not here, I'm always working at HQ without a second to spare, so nobody would mind if I take a breather every now and then. Besides," she paused as she clapped her hands, the smile on her widening. "I get to be with these little guys."