The Last

Back at Wall Rose, the new council comprised of military heads were waiting for the Scouts' arrival, silent restlessness pervading the meeting room.

Nile was in the middle of recounting his trainee days with Erwin, explaining to the other brass his friend's theory about the outside world.

Textbooks that had been published by the previous monarchy explicitly stated that humanity outside the walls had perished, as if it was an attempt of persuasion instead of maintaining an objective lens in the bounds of education.

Pixis, General Zackly and the other heads listened on.

Nile lowered his gaze to the cup of untouched tea in front of him, mind reminiscing.

"When I heard him say that, I made fun of him.. but look at us now."

It was silent for a while. Ever since the Scouts left for the operation, he could not control the fear and concern for his friends who had gone to fight to reclaim back Wall Maria. They should be returning any time soon—he was going to see them again.

General Zackly shattered the silence.

"I think your only option is to apologize to him directly," he rumbled.

Nile fell into silence, staring at his reflection on the tea in his cup and thinking of his last surviving friends in the Scouts. Erwin and Isanna.

That's not the only thing I owe them apology for, he thought.

The silence in the room was broken when hurried footsteps echoed from the hall outside the meeting room. The door then burst open, and a soldier came bearing the news, heralding the return of their heroes.

"The Survey Corps has arrived! The operation was a success!"

At the news, Nile was the first one to stand from the meeting table. He shuffled out of the room before anyone else could, ignoring the calls of the other executives.

Heavy, anticipating footsteps echoed down the halls of the building. He could hear his heart thundering against his chest, a fever of impatience pulsing through, and all Nile could think of was the chance to see Erwin and Isanna again, alive.

When he rounded the corner, he stopped.

In front of him stood Levi and Hanji, both of them wearing garbs of weariness, he noticed.

Casted over the marbled floor were their shadows, caused by the dawning light from the window on the wall beside them.

Nile knew the two of them. Squad leader Hanji Zoe, and Captain Levi—the annoying one who always ganged up on him together with Isanna. Those two were a pain together, he recalled. The troublesome, foul-mouthed duo who always hung around Erwin's side. They were certainly two of the military's best soldiers, but to Nile, they were just a pain in the ass that gave him nothing but headache.

They were most likely heading to the meeting room to give their report. But why only them two—

"Levi," Nile finally said, breaking the silence. "What is.. where's Erwin? And Isanna?"

Uncomfortable silence hovered above the corridor, his inquiry drifting along the wind as he waited for a response. He noted the grimace on Levi's face, the crestfallen expression on Hanji as she looked away with a chewed lip.

"They're dead," said Levi, blunt as always.

The information seemingly flew past his ears, too slow to take in.

"Where are they?"

"Wall Maria," Levi answered with dead-tired eyes. "They're dead."

Nile looked at him.