Chapter 8 - You are not alone

I felt immediately rejuvenated when the cold and fresh wind at the terrace hit my face. I closed my eyes as I felt the breeze take away my lethargy. Today was another eventful day, even though all I did was take a long tour of the Opera House through elaborate hidden passages. Erik walked in before me and looked around to inspect the space. The sky was tainted a beautiful shade of orange and pink and the breeze blew pleasantly. The terrace was as spacious as the building beneath it, with tall stone statues of gargoyles gracing the space with a goth finish. Some big wooden articles that looked like unfinished props and furniture were stashed at one corner, draped in long cloth. I walked over to the edge of the terrace with Erik besides me.

We both looked at the distant cityscape which was now luminated under the soft orange sunset. There were carriages scurrying around the streets taking their passengers back home, or away. Some muffled sounds of chattering bellowed around while a serene peace took over the air.

Erik coughed lightly and looked at me. I looked up at him and smiled. He has been nothing but extremely courteous and helpful to me ever since things went down at the Prima donna room. I was truly grateful to the man who stood tall and looked so radiant, his white porcelain mask glistened golden under the setting sun.

"So Ms. Clarissa, what are your thoughts after looking through the Opera House?" Erik said, in his melodious voice.

"I think I'm ready to find a temporary home and identity. It would be better if I could get a job at the Opera House. Working here will give me full-time access to the Opera House and the Prima Donna room."

"What work do you have in mind? You have looked through all the places in the Opera House. Anything that caught your fancy?"

"Hmm... I really don't think I have the talent or practice to pull-through any of the performing arts job here. So, auditioning for singing or dancing is out of question. Maybe I can work with the Stage Director? I've always been good at drawing and crafts."

Erik thought over it for a while. He cleared his throat and said, "That is a thoughtful decision. There is always a need of more hands for Stage Directing and it won't direct too much attention as the work is backstage. I can make arrangements to provide you residence in the Opera dormitories."

"Oh, you don't have to! I'll talk about it to the manager myself. The lesser people know about my trails, the better it is."

We continued to talk about a lot of things in the evening. Our conversations went from the current (1870s) musicians, the currency system, the different departments at the Opera House, the ruling government in France, what my backstory will be, the basics of French etiquettes so on and so forth. I couldn't feel the time running by when I talked to him. The crimson evening faded out to a reveal a pale moonlight.

"So, as I was saying, dermatology is a big subject and as a daughter of a dermatologist, I can assure it earns big money. You may think the issues of skin are only skin deep but they are not. There are so many factors inside and out that affects the way our skin feels and looks throughout our life and my mom practically never runs out of clients. In future the medical field is much more advanced and sophisticated with several fields of specialisation. My mother had to pursue a specialised masters degree after medical school."

I kept on rambling about my family, about LA, anything and everything about the 21st century, while Erik chimed in with curious yet intelligent questions. But the more I spoke about myself, the more it hurt. I felt my heart tearing into pieces as I reminiscence about the people I loved so much. I tried my best to mask the negative emotions until Erik said, "Clarissa, are you feeling alright? You look like something is bothering you? Are you feeling well?"

I smiled bitterly. I looked into the distance and said, "I'm alone here Erik. There is no family or a home to return to in this world. What if I truly am left in this place forever to fend for myself?" I added a little chuckle in end, anything to alleviate my depressing situation, I thought. "Like a lone wolf, hahaha." I added.

Erik's expression didn't seem to change a bit. He just nodded to it. Well, I guess this is better than me trying to accept awkward condolences from him.

Erik abruptly stated in a matter-of-fact manner, "I am alone. It is how I always have been. In the present and in the future."

"Practically you are not alone. I am here standing with you right now. That makes two of us and therefore not alone. There, point proven." I waved a hand at the last statement, smirking. I'm not a condolence type of person either. But my sorry attempt at steering the conversation probably struck something with Erik because the moment I said this, Erik stepped closer and looked in my eyes. I looked up and saw him staring with a mix of emotions and slight surprise. The cold night wind now blew around us, but I held my breath looking up at Erik, not sure what is happening.

Note: Hello there!! The seventh chapter was getting too long so I split it into two, so this chapter may look shorter than what I usually write. Thank you all for tuning in. Coming up: An Erik POV next chapter. ^__^