Chapter 29 - Christine is Missing

"I knocked on the door repetitively and called out her name many times, but she didn't respond at all. Madame Giry insisted that Christine has retired for the night because she is too tired. But I don't understand, why wouldn't she inform me that herself? She clearly agreed on joining us? Madame Giry wouldn't let me talk to her either since its inappropriate for me to go to the dorms for ballerinas. This doesn't make any sense!"

Raoul explained his whole ordeal to us in the carriage, he looked defeated and his eyebrows were scrunched up tensely. Az and I looked at each other and shared knowing glances.

"Maybe she really felt sick or tired, and was not in the condition to let us know personally. Let's not jump into conclusions yet." Az said.

"Right, and if you're worried, you can come and pay a visit to her tomorrow?" I suggested.

Raoul looked up at us and nodded. He ordered the coachman to leave.

We arrived at a fancy diner in the heart of Paris. We conversed freely on various topics from politics, military, gossips, opera, business and our lives and past backgrounds. I took a sip of my wine when Raoul spoke, "You know Clarissa, I could have sworn I heard a man's voice along with Christine's inside the Prima Donna room. I even knocked a couple of times and asked them to open up. I'm having my doubts."

"The Opera House is a big space with wide corridors and rooms along open windows on each wall. You could be hearing voices echoing from other parts of the place, no doubt the place was bustling with people." I provided an explanation.

"Well, if it really was like that, how can we explain the Prima Donna room being locked? Clearly there was someone-" Raoul tried to reason and was interrupted by Az.

"You know that you can lock doors from outside with a key? Stop overthinking, I trust Madame Giry. she would never play around with Christine's safety."

"I am sure I heard a conversation. It was a man and Christine." Raoul huffed, looking annoyed.

"And that is enough for you to make assumptions? So, what if she was talking to a man? Men are clearly 50% of the world's population, it could be any person. Jumping on questionable assumptions about a lady isn't very gentlemanly." Aziel asked.

"Explain how she was fine performing and talking to me and suddenly took so sick that she went straight to her bed, did not even let me know of it personally?"

"Raoul, now that's a bit low. As an unfortunate female my guess is she could have had menstrual cramps? Maybe you are unaware but that stuff makes you feel so sick you wish you were dead. Or she could have been over exhausted after this clearly busy day? Like Az said, let's not make weird assumptions about a sweet girl like Christine, we'll ask her tomorrow morning." I said.

Raoul: "Yes, you are right. I probably shouldn't fall for such assumptions. It's just that I finally found her after so many years. I couldn't believe my luck. Now that fate has bought us together, I will never let go of her again. My heart sunk when I heard Mr. Daae was no more. I don't want Christine to ever be so vulnerable and alone like she was for so many years. She deserves better."

Aziel: Now that's something we all can agree on. Don't take it personally, Clarissa and I were so defensive because you know how society is to women. Rumours around here cost women their reputation.

Raoul nodded in understanding.

Raoul: It's indeed quite late, Clarissa, I'll drop you back at the Opera House, but what about you Aziel, where are you staying?

Oh Shit! We completely forgot about looking for a lodging amidst this whole time-travelling mess. Aziel's eyes widened in the same realisation.

Aziel: Ah, yes, there's a minor issue. I haven't yet looked for a place to stay. I know it's too late in the night but I can just look for a place to stay for the night.