Chapter 36 - Turning Point of Fate

Author's Note: This is probably the longest chapter in this story, packed with lots of emotions. It feels very lengthy to me not just by the word count but also because there is so much to unpack here. I hope you all can take some time to relax and read this whole chapter with a fresh mind. Once again, thank you for tuning in. You guys are my sole motivators in writing this.  

Clarissa's POV

I don't know how long it had been. I ran around, my mind was all over the place. People were panicking, especially the staff at the Opera Populaire. My first priority was to escort the guests out properly, a lot of whom were offended and grumpy. I mean a man had just died but they were more worried about the inconvenience of leaving in a queue and waiting for their carriage's turn. The commoners and nobles all had to queue with no 'VIP exits', which was also bugging them. I'm sure it would be another mess outside near the entrance, carriages strewn about and a ton of police personnel crowding it. Stage direction and hospitality teams were clubbed together to help at escorting the guests, the managers were now busy answering the cops and patrons. The whole staff was livid and anxious, the managers ignoring the Opera Ghost has cost a life. After I knew the guests in the front rows were out of the way, I now went to the orchestra at the gallery to help them gather their instruments and safely leave through the backstage.

I overheard the police investigators question the stagehands and few ballerinas about what they saw, and whether they saw anyone going to the rafters. Everyone answered no. Thank God I took the hidden corridors to get to the rafters near the roof. This time, Joseph Bouquet was inevitably dead, yes. BUT, there was no noose around his neck, there was a vodka container in his hand with stench of alcohol in his mouth and the forensic determined caused of death as breaking of neck by impact. Indeed, there is no clear-cut evidence of this being a homicide. The police were leaning more towards the conclusion that it was an unfortunate accident and nothing more. I thought the staff would rattle about an 'Opera Ghost' passing out threats and curses in broad daylight, but they kept their mouth shut. It was the unsaid general consensus to simply not get involved in matters of O.G. at all. After giving my statement to the police, I felt slightly dizzy. All the running around through a crowd in a corset was getting to me. I tumbled my way to a seat, holding my head in my hands.

I was about to misstep and fall on my face when a couple of strong arms held me in place and guided me to a seat.

"Clary, you good? You are sweating a lot. Look at me, take deep breaths." Az made small circles on my back, pulling my hair away from my face and wiping my sweat with a handkerchief.

"Thanks Az, I'm just a little dizzy. Actually its not that I'm tired or sick, the corset binds my chest tightly making it hard to breathe. I did quite some running and climbing right now." I said.

"Alright, take deep breathes and close your eyes. I'll then take you to your dorm so you can change into something comfortable." Az said.

"Yes, that would be good. Wait, where is Christine? Or Raoul?" I got up straight.

"Uh- I guess its time for that 'All I ask of you' song. Who cares? I'm hungry. Let's have dinner."

I immediately got up and walked. I don't know what took to me, I could hear Raoul's voice fading in background. I reached the marble stairs when my knees buckled and I landed on my back.

"Erik. I need to go to him. I have to go to Erik." I managed to utter, as Aziel got to me.

Aziel: Why? Why him? That nutjob just committed a murder. By the end of the story he commits an arson and multiple murders. Now you're saying you want to go to him. Make it make sense.