Chapter 17

The sapphire in my pendant illuminated and glowed blue. It was just like the day when I first came here, to the year 1870 in Paris. I couldn't believe the reflection I was seeing and looked down, yes my pendant was glowing. I looked back up to the reflection in awe but the unnatural light faded. I saw it flicker and go back to a regular blue stone. I pulled away from Christine and held her gaze.

"Hi sweety, I was crying because I was missing my home, but I'm fine now that you hugged me. It's getting so late, why don't you back to sleep?"

"Yes I will, but promise you will not cry like that again Clarissa? You always smile, I don't like to see you crying." Christine pouted.

"Yes it's a promise, now back you go!"
After tucking Christine to her bed, I walked back the empty halls alone. I couldn't believe the miracle that just happened. My pendant is glowing, indicating that its time. It's finally the time that I can possibly go back home. I can go back to my life in 21st century, back in LA with my family. The life that I had so much to look forward to. I was so excited that my feet instinctively took to the route of the underground Lair. But I stopped myself. I remembered our encounter and felt my heart drop. What about Erik, what about everyone here? Will I never see them again? Can I even have the chance to say goodbye?

I was consumed in my thoughts and a storm brewed in my head. I couldn't go to Erik to let out my emotions. I realised I walked all the way to the stage when I felt a chill. It was a cold night and I wrapped my arms around myself to preserve some warmth. Then, I felt a warm and heavy jacket being placed around my shoulder. I looked up and saw Robert smiling at me.

"Clary, what are you doing all alone at night, that too without any warm clothing? You think purposefully getting sick and get you off work? Like you always say – chop chop, busy day tomorrow!"

I laughed. Perhaps this is something I will forever miss back home. The friendships I made here are so precious to me.

"Hey, I was just thinking about something alright!"
"Really, what is occupying that non-existent brain of yours? I thought you only cared about food." Robert laughed at his own lame statement.

"Geez, and here I thought you were sweet for giving me your jacket." I smirked.

"Well, if its any comfort then I can lend you my ears. Tell me, what's bothering you?"

I looked at him and half-opened my mouth awkwardly. What should I say, that I'm living the plot of a science fiction movie? My blank expression was followed by an awkward silence.

"Fine, if you don't want to talk about your worries, let's talk about me!" Robert grinned widely after saying this.

"Gosh, what a narcissist."

"You told me you like interesting discussions. Discussing about me sounds right."

"Cool, let's hear you out. Hopefully I don't yawn in the first minute."

We took a bottle of wine from the kitchen and chatted for another hour or two. Robert, like he promised, discussed plenty about his life. He told me about his childhood in the countryside, moving to London as a teenager and finding his passion for art in the big city.
His plans were to learn enough from Paris and one day go back to work with The Royal Opera House in London. He told me about funny anecdotes from his time at Opera Populaire, and how this place grew to be his family far from home.

"You are like a family to me, Clary." I looked up to see his face flushed from drinking.

"Likewise, I don't know what I would have done without you in all of my time since I started working here."

"So, what's the next big plan? Don't you want to be the Head Stage Director, or establish your own office here in Paris?" He asked while taking another sip.

"No, I'll be going back home. We are similar in that way. Nothing can replace our home for us." I smiled.

"Wow, I thought you would stay here, especially after establishing a good reputation and business here."

"You will agree to me on this, but none of this really matters without our family, does it?"

"Hmm, that is true. Your parents must be missing you to back home, Clary."

I could see that both me and Robert got teary eyed after all the talks about family. We chatted a bit more until Robert walked me back to my room. I gave him a hug and he wished me goodnight. I was about to get ready for bed when I realised that I still had Robert's coat on me. I ran back to catch up with Robert, he would need that coat in this freezing weather.

I stopped in my trails and my hands froze. Robert was at the end of the hall, gasping for breath. A tall, dark figure with a porcelain mask choked the breath out of Robert with a rope. Robert was hitting around and trying to place a punch, but to no avail. He was not nearly strong or sober enough to save himself. I pulled my gown and ran like hell, willing all the energy to my legs. Realising that I couldn't be too late, I took off one slipper mid-run and threw it. It hit the figure with porcelain mask right on his head. This knocked the Phantom from his feet and made him loosen his grip. I couldn't see clearly if it caused a severe injury, but I still secretly hoped it didn't. 

Robert was out of the Phantom's grip, but he fell to the floor unconscious. My heart dropped. I ran to him and put my ears to his chest. I sighed with relief when I heard wheezing quick breathes from him, which slowly stabilised. I looked up to see the familiar man. I glared at him with nothing but disgust and contempt in my eyes.

I took Erik's hand in mine and dragged him back to the underground lair. He didn't protest and walked with me, silently. Ever so often he gripped my palm tightly, like he would never let go. But none of that matters to me anymore. He doesn't matter to me anymore. Here is the final confrontation that he will get from me, and this time I will not turn back. 

This is the point of no return.