Chapter 15

Erik's POV

I stood still behind a pillar in the lobby. Most people in Opera House were inside working the busiest hours. I looked at Clarissa as she glanced behind on last time. Her eyes moved around the space looking for someone, and when she couldn't find anything, she turned back, Meg and Christine excitedly dragging her along.

I've been seeing her less often now since the last time she spoke to me. Well, in a way you can say I see her all the time, the whole day. It's just that she never knows it when I'm watching her. The conviction with which she spoke to me, stirred thoughts that I wouldn't dare imagine. She made me think of a future, of a possibility and of a dream. She made me think of life outside of the darkness. She made me think of a world where I'll be seen and known for who I am. And the only reason why I could think that way was because of the strong faith she puts in me. If I would have disclosed my new thoughts to the Erik of the past, he would have laughed. He would have rather drown himself to death than live in a torturous world where he could dream. Because Erik should never dream. Erik should never live. My mother's words echoed in my mind.

I spent majority of my days on designing and the remainder on composing. I haven't been giving lessons to Christine as often as I did before. I however make sure to continue lessons every week, so that the she keeps making progress. I remember a time when I could only think about my lessons with Christine, because that was the only task that had kept my mind off the void of an existence that I lead. But ever since I knew Clarissa, I've found a new purpose in this bleak excuse of a life. And I remain infinitely indebted for the love that she has shown me. Love? A monster like me?

I bundled up a set of papers that I had sketched on. I had previously decided to make some design samples but I ended up sketching Clarissa while my mind was lost in her thoughts. Dusk had dawned and I kneeled over the rafters, monitoring all the familiar workers at the Opera House packing up and leaving for the day. Not a soul noticed my presence as I hid behind the shadows, as I disappeared into my secret passageways. I chuckled at a memory; I was once peering down the rafters to the stage, while Clarissa was painting some stage backdrops. She sneaked a glance above, and gave me a quick smile while she continued with her work. Someone had finally found the lurking Phantom.

I walked behind passages and opened the door to the terrace. I was right on time to watch the beautiful sunset over Paris. The sky was tinted in hues of pink and orange as I walked to the edge, feeling the cool wind. My mind drifted to the memories of the day when Clarissa and I came to the terrace together. It was her first day at the Opera House, the day I took her through my secret passages, showing her around the place. I calmly raised my hands to my face, and slid the porcelain mask over my forehead. I held on the mask, letting the evening breeze wash over my face. I closed my eyes taking in the freedom, I was reminded of the girl who had once taken this mask off of my face.

I checked back to see if Clarissa had returned and sneaked past hidden ways to her room. Her room was locked but a man who seemed to have a bundle of keys opened it. It was the bundle that Madame Giry had with her. He stepped in the room slowly, looking around and picking up a cushion from the floor. He walked to a table and placed a basket and a set of papers. He walked out, locking the door behind him.

My hands were paining from being clenched so tightly. My teeth gritted and I saw red while this man entered her room. He was the boy from Stage Direction. I picked up the note he left with the basket. It was written in English.

"Hello Clary, I left the receipts of today's materials on your desk. We'll get the supplies sorted tomorrow. Also, the bakery down the street baked fresh stuffed garlic bread, got some for you. It's because you told me you get hungry at 2 a.m. you pig.

Hate,

Robby."

My blood boiled at the sight of the note. The day I heard them use the endearing nicknames for each other was still fresh in my mind. They laughed and touched each other, as if they knew each other forever. I wish I could burn his little note, along with his nasty hands that touched her. I hated how she joked with him and I hated how she spent her days working besides him. I hated how she went out with him for lunch, I hated how they just glanced at each other and laughed, like their mind conveyed a joke in telepathy. I was the first and the only person who found her when she came here alone, yet how dare this man act affectionate to her in ways I never could. No, she belonged to me. I had to let her know, she has to stay by my side forever. My anger dissipated when I heard laughter and voices down the hall. Recognising the sweet voices at once, I followed them.

I stood behind the dark walls, a mirror on a dresser was my window to everything in the room. I saw Clarissa, Meg and Christine walk in, setting down heaps of shopping bags. I smiled and watched them laugh, play and joke until they drifted off to sleep. I saw Clarissa walk up close to where I stood, but she couldn't see me behind the wall. She blew off the candle that illuminated the room.

The three girls were sleeping in together. I saw Clarissa hug Christine tightly in her arms. I smiled and turned away, wishing them a silent goodnight. That's when I saw it.

Clarissa couldn't see it, since her eyes were shut. She was fast asleep with Christine in her arms. The sapphire pendant that hung around her neck everyday was now glowing. It illuminated with an unnatural blue light. It glowed the way it did when she first step through the mirror. It shined with an iridescent light. It shone bright when she had walked through time and space, from a world I could never reach, to mine.

No, I won't let this happen. I will not let her open that door again. The door to a world where she would be out of my reach, for eternity.