Chapter 33 - Notes From O.G.

Clarissa's POV

God knows how much I love my 10 hours sleep, but life doesn't always go the way you want it to. I woke up groggy with a total of 2 hours of sleep, the stress of everything around me kept me up. I started my day with preparations of Il Muto, running through the building and screaming orders. I drowned myself in work to forget about my anxious thoughts, that's when a stagehand informed that the managers have called for me. I walk towards the main staircase of the Opera House, I could recognise the voices from a distance. I could hear Andre, Firmin, Raoul and Oh Shit- it was Carlotta, her voice screeching in a dramatic whistle note. I walk in to find a couple of more people in the room, and from afar I could get a gist of the conversation. They had all received some notes.

Andre: Ah, there you are Ms. Emerson, did you receive any notes yet?

Clarissa: Note? I don't think so Monsieur.

Carlotta: We all received notes signed by O.G., we were just about to read another. Ayy, mi fa male la testa!

Carlotta speaks in her fairly loud, dramatic voice making me cringe.

That's when the Firmin starts reading out the final letter

"Gentlemen, I have now sent you several notes of the most amiable nature, detailing how my theatre is to be run. You have not followed my instructions. I shall give you one last chance...

Christine Daae has returned to you, and I am anxious her career should progress.

In the new production of 'Il Muto', you will therefore cast Carlotta as the Pageboy, and put Miss Daae in the role of Countess.

The role which Miss Daae plays calls for charm and appeal.

The role of the Pageboy is silent – which makes my casting, in a word, ideal.

I shall be watching the performance from my normal seat in Box Five, which will be kept empty for me. Should these commands be ignored, a disaster beyond your imagination with occur.

I remain gentlemen,

Your obedient servant, O.G."

A whole lot of discussion and noise erupted the moment Firmin read the last line. Carlotta accused Raoul - Christine's lover writing these notes while the managers grumped over O.G. and why he acts like he owns the place. But I couldn't care less about Carlotta's tantrums or the managers confusion. I gathered all the notes signed by O.G. and read each one of them. I couldn't help but smile. It was as if I could hear them in his baritone voice, narrating each letter with his insidious tone, a hint of sarcasm, a dash of threats and signing them all off with 'Your obedient servant, O.G.' How obedient and servicing of him to give out written threats and demand major changes regarding everything in the Opera's management. That's when I felt eyes on me.

Carlotta: You're laughing? Do you think this is funny? This crazy ghost is after me and career I'm telling you. You all must do something at once or I'll move to Italy for good.

Firmin: Dearest Madame, don't worry we will pay no heed to this troublesome ghost's words. He can haunt this place all he wants but you are the jewel of our crown, the star of our show. Everything will happen the way it was meant to be. Right Ms. Emerson?

Clarissa: Uh- yes that's right. We have already prepared a lot to make any changes. And of course, Carlotta has the most brilliant voice. Why would we ever doubt her?

Carlotta: Then why were you laughing while we were in misery? I thought I liked you a lot Ms. Stage Director!

Clarissa: Oh no, I clearly found the absurdity of these notes quite amusing. But enough about me, hurry up Mademoiselle. The costume designers and hair dressers are expecting you. I'll excuse myself.