chapter four

part one: dusk

Surviving the night, Parisa felt a burden upon her shoulders fall into ruins. Although she was not safe yet, she felt easy. She felt calm. But she couldn't stop the tears from floating their way down into a small river on her dress. Only then it was that she realised what she was truly scared of; she was terrified of death. She was scared to die and that was her secret. To her surprise, she almost had the Shah wrapped around her little finger. He was silent and calm whilst listening to her stories. Stories that were never real. Stories made up inside her fantasy. But somehow so real to Arman. For a second, she had almost forgotten what kind of a monster he was. He was so silent, she thought. But that's exactly how the predator hunts its prey. Quietly hide, move closer, lure them in, and suddenly when they least expect it; attack them.

'A foolishly intelligent, brave girl,' was what he had called her earlier. Parts of it were true. She was foolishly intelligent but just as stubborn. Parisa didn't really know if that counted as being brave. So instead, she trusted her own instincts. Her heart was the only thing keeping her sane, and true. Before she could even turn her attention to the door, she saw Azin burst through with the biggest shock painted upon her face. Azin quickly fell onto her knees in front of Parisa with her mouth wide open.

"Am I seeing a ghost right now?" Azin asked while shaking Parisa hand continuously. Parisa couldn't help but laugh at her reaction until she remembers that she was the only girl who had lived. Which meant that every morning, Azin was to see a dead girl laying on the ground in a puddle of their own blood.

"I am quite real, that I will assure you," Parisa said calmly, trying to make Azin stand up, "Don't do that, it seems as if you are kneeling in front of me," she added, finally pulling her up from the ground.

"I cannot believe this miracle. My dear queen, the Huma bird has truly saved you," Azin confessed excitedly. The Huma bird, Parisa thought. The same bird she had used in her stories. Although she never truly knew if this mystical bird was real, she believed in the Huma bird.

The Huma bird was the very same bird who was in all the stories Parisa's mother read to her. The mythical creature was known as a blessing. Legend says, if the Huma bird was to fly over your head, you would be blessed for life. However, if you were to injure the bird or attempt to injure it in any way, you will be cursed with bad luck for eternity. It is said that the Huma bird will forever fly across the world, bringing blessings to certain people. And once it dies, it will rise from its own ashes to once again, rule over the world. Parisa had always wanted to see the Huma bird, but never truly had the chance to. But instead, she believed and praised it. A true blessing.

"I am alive my dear. Not sure how, but somehow alive," Parisa reassured Azin who was still in shock.

"Oh, my goodness, I need to show you the palace now that you are truly our queen," she reminded Parisa. The Palace was known to be the biggest land in the country. In all of Persia. Parisa never believed that; until she saw it with her own eyes. A huge palace painted in the most beautiful colours. It was almost as if the palace was a piece of heaven itself. Parisa nodded in agreement, finally feeling a little excited for something in this life. Maybe she and Azin were to be good friends, and she appreciated that with all her life. A good friend. A blessing.

The palace walls were incredibly high, and the floors were incredibly massive. The palace was filled with servants and noblemen. To Parisa, the servants were just as important as the noblemen. She believed that they deserved the same amount of respect. Servant or not, poor, or not, every human deserved the same amount of respect. Besides one. Besides one utterly horrible man. A man who was a monster and no human to Parisa. Shah Arman.

As they walked through the halls (continuously long halls), Parisa saw a young man she recognised from last night. He was so tall, the walls seemed small beside him. His hair was almost pitch black and his posture perfect. When he laid his eyes on Parisa he stopped. Then he continued to walk but changing his direction to walk towards Azin and Parisa. Stopping in front of them, he bowed to Parisa as the Queen of Persia, and silently acknowledged Azin.

"My Shahbanu," he spoke with a twirl of his tongue. Parisa nodded her head acknowledging him in return. She had no idea who he was, but she knew he was of a high rank mostly because of his medals. "Forgive me, where have my manners gone. I am Jalaledin, the high vasir," he addressed himself. Being a high vasir meant that he was third from Arman himself. He pressed a soft kiss on Parisa's hand honouring her, but something about the man standing in front of her, made her feel uncomfortable. Parisa took one step back away from Jalaledin, almost standing behind Azin.

"Pleasure to meet you. I am Parisa Elaheh," she finally spoke. To her surprise, he seemed shocked. Was it because she introduced herself so informally or because of something else?

"Pleasure to meet you too, my Queen. You must've been quite important to our Shah that he has decided to keep you alive," he pointed out. His tone almost seemed like he was making fun of Parisa. He was speaking to her as if she was an investment Arman had ought to keep.

"I shall take that as a compliment. Thank you Jalaledin, the third from our Shah," she spoke with spite, slamming his useless position onto his face. She could see his expression change tremendously. He seemed as if he was...Angry

"You have quite the bravery, my lady," he answered. Parisa only gave him a gentle smile. The smile of triumph but before she could speak one last time, she felt the presence of someone behind her.