chapter thirty-one

It was the night of the ball. If their plan was to go as they expected, they would win everything. They would bring peace to both nations and Parisa would finally avenge her brother. It was happy moments like these that she wanted her brother beside her, but she knew that he was somewhere in heaven watching over her. Sometimes she wondered if her brother had met Aziz Banu. But some part of Parisa always knew that they had met, and that Aziz Banu loved him like her own son.

Parisa felt uncomfortable when some of the maids helped her change. She was so used to having Azin around that she had forgotten what life was without her. As she got ready, she felt more nervous. Doubts were playing in her mind but there was no going back. She was feeling the same nerves she had felt when she married Arman. But this time it was different. She tried to calm herself down by taking deep breaths and to her surprise, it worked. And now she was ready. As ready as she ever will be.

Stepping out of the room she saw Arman. The man who was patiently waiting to get a glimpse of her. They had spent so long together and yet every time he would catch himself shocked and amazed by her. He held out his hand for her to hold, ready to leave.

"Let's show them who we are," he whispered in her ear. She gave him a smile ready to bring fire upon everyone. She was the devil walking in the angels' shoes. After all, the devil was once an angel too. In every corner of the palace, the guards watched them carefully. Their eyes followed every single one of their moves. Little did they know that by removing the queen from the chess board, the whole kingdom will collapse and everyone with it. The strongest piece on the board was about to bring hell up to earth. An army of her own.

Entering the party, Parisa carefully eyed Aurelius who was watching her. He was watching every single one of her moves and that didn't threaten Parisa. She was the tiniest bit scared. She felt power surge through her body as the crowd watched her. Aurelius came forward to welcome them. His face was glittered with hate and darkness.

"Dear Parisa, how gorgeous you are. Arman I might have to steal your woman from you some time," he said in the most disgusting way ever. Arman gritted his teeth, unable to say anything back. "Im only joking darling," he added. Parisa wanted to punch and break his teeth. She wanted to stab him. But she didn't. Instead, she spoke loudly.

"Unfortunately, I'm not an object for you to steal. But perhaps stealing is how you succeeded in taking the crown," she said. She saw the annoyance in Aurelius' face and that's when she laughed. She gave a pat on his back finally stopping her laughter, "Darling I'm only joking. I believe I am quite funny; don't you think?" she added. Parisa could hear Arman keeping in his laughter. Aurelius gave her a warning smile, before excusing himself.

"That dog," she finally sighed as he left.

"I should just let you lead the kingdom, my heart," he said in all honesty. Parisa had the tongue of a viper. But when you are trapped in the den of snakes, you learn their tongue. And she had learnt it perfectly.

Music began to play, and Arman reached his hand out to her. She held his hand willingly, placing the other around his neck. He beautifully placed his hands on her waist, swaying her hips around. She buried her face into his shoulder, embracing his warmth. That alone meant the world to her.

"Thank you," Parisa said at once.

"For what?" he whispered in confusion.

"For letting me love you. For loving me. Promise we will stay like the forever. Promise me that we will live together for as long as we live," she whispered.

"I promise to love you forever. I promise to be alive and well with you forever," he promised her, "And thank you. Thank you for being the light at the end of the tunnel. I love you and I will in a thousand other lifetime. Forever," he reassured her. And when everything seemed perfect, Parisa saw Aurelius in the corner of her eye. His face had the biggest grin and that alone make Parisa sick.

"May I?" he interrupted them. With no choice left, Parisa looked at Arman and finally nodded her head. She placed her hand in his sweaty palms, allowing him to carry her to the centre of the room. As the music played on, Aurelius grabbed her waist, pulling her close to him. Parisa moved back a little, avoiding his touch. The only person she wanted was Arman. She didn't want this disgusting rat touching her in places only Arman could. She grabbed his hand moving it away from her body. With a few movements, she made sure he wasn't touching her where she didn't want to be touch and so he had his hands on her should and she had hers on his. They danced as Aurelius spoke. She heard nothing though. Her eyes were scanning the room, but she couldn't Arman. A panic travelled through her. He wasn't there.

"Looking for your husband?" he asked, noticing her fear. She finally looked at him, realising what had happened.

"Where is he Aurelius?" she asked threatening him. Her face was burning with anger and her eyes were shining with fury. Parisa could feel the fear of losing Arman grow stronger and stronger by the second.

"Why don't I show you," he offered and without a second thought, she accepted it. But she knew it was a bad idea. He held her by the wrist, quietly dragging her through the room so no one realised. When they finally reached the hallways, she felt something stab her. She gasped louder than ever. When she looked down, she saw blood pouring from her side. Nothing too deep or damaging, but painful. Aurelius pulled the dagger out, laughing at her.

"You bastard," she spat.

"You really thought I would agree with peace. Think again," he said, but she couldn't focus on his words. All she could think of was Arman. All she feared was never seeing him again. She carefully eyed the sword strapped to Aurelius' waist. Without hesitation, she pulled the sword when he least expected it.

"Maybe you should think again," she warned him, holding onto her wound. She was panting. Her voice was breaking, and tears were falling from pain. She held the sword to his neck and to her surprise he was scared, almost as if he hadn't expected it. "Where is my husband?" she asked again furiously. He whined in fear as she threw him against the wall. Her legs were giving in as the pain became too hard to bear.

"I didn't plan this," he confessed, "A man named Afshin came to me saying he had a plan to kill Arman and in return I would get the Persian Empire," he cried. Hearing Afshin's name made Parisa want to scream. Afshin was going to kill Arman and she needed to save him.

"Thank you," she said before slicing his throat. For the first time she had murdered someone, but she didn't feel any remorse or regret. Because sometimes you had to kill to survive. No one was going to steal her forever. And just like that, she collapsed onto the ground in pain.