chapter thirty

سحر آمد
part four: dawn

A long four days on the road had finally come to an end. Day's journey had given Parisa a long time to think within her own mind. All she had ever wanted was sitting in front of her. All she had ever wanted was right ahead of her. For days, both Parisa and Arman had spent their nights and days together in a carriage. A carriage so beautifully decorated with gold cut-outs. Every night, Parisa would tell Arman a new story, and every night he would observe her face instead of listening to the story. She was the song he never wanted to turn off. She was the image he never got sick of. She was all he had and all he wanted.

When the carriage came to a stop, the two observed the environment around them. The architecture in Rome was quite different to Persia. The walls of their palace were as white as the clouds up above. The pillars were so high up, Parisa could barely see the top. In her mind, the palace was a beauty, quite like her home. The king and queen of Persia were greeted by many. From high lords to guards.

One guard pointed Arman towards the main hall to meet Emperor Aurelius. An enemy yet friend. Quite similar to the saying, keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Parisa was in a beautiful gown fit for a queen. They stood behind the metal doors, awaiting the emperor's arrival.

"Friends!" a voice called out from behind Arman. The man's voice sent a horrifying shiver down Parisa's spine. When they turned around, they were greeted by the emperor himself. Unlike what Parisa had imagined him to look like, he looked much younger although he had basically lost all his hair. On top of his head, he wore a crown made of gold. On the crown she saw small golden leaves embedded on the side. It was a beautiful crown yet unfit for such horrible man.

"Queen Parisa," he first welcomed Parisa with a kiss on her hand. Then with a silent nod he welcomed Arman who didn't seem pleased. For a while, the two stood there smiling and covering their frowns. The tension was suffocating.

"Emperor Aurelius," Parisa finally called out to him, breaking the tension apart, "I am quite glad you accepted the peace treaty. May this be a blessing for both our nations," she spoke in confidence. Her words were wiser than any man and sharper than any knife. Aurelius stood in front of her unable to reply. His shock was so obvious Parisa nearly laughed.

"As I am too," he finally replied with a horrifying smile. Parisa could smell the blood of thousands from his breath. The sickening smell of blood. So pungent Parisa felt faint. The blood of thousands just like her brother. "Shall we?" he gestured at Arman who had finally taken the frown off his face. He nodded in agreement as the three walked away towards the hallways. Once they arrived, he pointed them into a massive room in order for them to get ready. When Parisa looked outside the window, she realised they only had a few hours before the ball.

"I feel like throwing up," Parisa said as soon as Aurelius left them alone in the room. Arman laughed at the annoyance painted across her face. "I want to cut my hand off, why did he have to place his lips on it?" she continued with frustration, as her voice travelled higher at times.

"I wanted to carve his eyes out," Arman finally spoke. Parisa looked at him to see a sign of sarcasm, but she knew he was being serious. The disgusted and unsatisfied look on his face was unmissable. She finally sat beside him on the bed, continuously wiping her hand with a wet tissue. "Are you sure you can do this?" he asked her, examining her beautiful features. The same eyes he could get lost in and not even realise.

"Are you doubting me?" she asked in confused.

"I never doubted you a second, Janedel," he confessed.

"Oh really?" she laughed, gently pushing him on the bed. Hovering over his body, she pinned his arms down. His eyes were calm, but his heart was beating a little too fast. He loved her. He was married to her, yet he always seemed nervous around her. A nerve so enjoyable.

"Really," he assured her as he pushed his way over her. Now he was hovering over her. He could feel her heartbeat. The sound of home. The sound of always. Because they were always. Parisa managed to loosen his grip and when she did, she didn't waste any time. She wrapped her arms around his neck, carefully placing her lips on his. And within seconds, his hands were placed around her waist. He wanted her right then and there. He wanted her so much in that moment that he could feel himself melting into her heart. With one hand, she found her way to the skin under his shirt. Her hand was rubbing on his back as her other hand was on the back of his neck.

"Don't ever cut your hand off," he reminded her, enjoying her touch. She laughed, tilting her head back from laughter. That laugh gave him life. To see her this happy was all he wanted. If he could record the sound of her laughter he would. If he could have it on replay, he would. But right now, in this moment, her laugh was suddenly all he needed. Just her.