chapter sixteen

Dinner was finally ready. The rice, kebabs and stews were set on the massive table. On the other side of the table, Parisa could see Afshin. He will catch you, stop looking at me Afshin, for your sake, she begged him in her mind. No matter what she felt for Arman, she knew he held no mercy. And no matter what she didn't feel for Afshin, she didn't want him to die. After all, they had a past together.

"Shahbanu," a man from across the table spoke. He was the man who was with Afshin before. "It is truly a pleasure to meet you," he said with a smile. Parisa wanted to laugh at how happy the many looked. He was a true excitement. "I am Emir, your grace," he introduced himself to Arman. Arman only nodded, still ignoring Afshin.

"Shahbanu, I have heard quite a bit about your sword skills," Emir pointed out. Parisa liked the honesty in Emir's voice. He was kind-hearted, from what Parisa could see. Before Parisa could answer, another man fell into a deafening laughter. Slightly offended, Parisa turned to the man, daring his eyes.

"Women and swords don't belong in the same sentence," the man said with a bickering laugh. Arman fisted his hand under the table as Parisa placed her hand on top of his to stop him. She could handle herself well. And with the amount of trust he had, he allowed her.

"Do they not?" Parisa asked him with a grin. The man had no answer, "would you like to find out?" Parisa challenged him, but he did not dare to reply. The look on Afshin's face was unmissable. Afshin had never known about the sword skills Parisa carried. She had never told him. She knew if she had told him, he would force her to quit. But unlike Afshin, Arman understood and respected her hobbies, no matter how unnatural they seemed. He cared for her unlike no other.

"That is what I thought," Parisa answered when he saw the defeat in the man's face. They all continued with their dinner, talking about war and politics, all but Afshin who was glaring at Parisa. She, however, did not even dare to look back at him. She didn't want him to die, as Arman was not a merciful man. After dinner, everyone began talking again, enjoying their wine. In need of fresh air, Parisa broke away from the overwhelming party to step outside. Once she was outside the palace, she stared at the moon, unaware and unsure of her own feelings. One minute she wanted every bit of Arman, good or bad, and the other she wanted to hate him.

Suddenly, a figure appeared beside her. Afshin.

"I'm going to save you," he repeated.

"Afshin, please just go home. I told you I don't need saving. Save yourself please. They know you have escaped," she told him. Almost sounded like a plead. She needed to save him, and she had no way of doing so.

"I am here to kill him Parisa. God, I missed you. Please allow me to take you and end this monster," he begged her.  Had she missed him? Or was it the guilt in her?

"Save yourself Afshin, I can't stand to see you fade away too," she pleaded him once more. One last time.

"Have you got any weaknesses or information on him? I'm going to finish it tonight," he asked completely ignoring her. He wasn't listening to her pleads. He was allowing his selfishness take over.

"No Afshin. Arman isn't as bad as you think he is. Please don't do anything," she said. Suddenly his expression changed. He was angry and frustrated.

"Arman? Aren't you two close," he made fun of her.

"Be careful with the way you talk," she warned him.

"Or what? Is your husband going to kill me? Then let him,"

"This is your last warning Afshin. Don't make me do something I will regret,"

"You gave up on us Parisa. You betrayed me. You married someone you didn't even know. You are so goddamn selfish. It was about money, wasn't it?" he yelled at her. In this very moment, Parisa wanted to punch him. She wanted to slap him. And so, she did.

"What is wrong with you?" she yelled back, "I did not give up on you. I did this for you. To save you. I sacrificed myself for you. But you must make everything my fault, don't you? It was never about money Afshin! I was happy with our life. But if you really think I cared about money, then you didn't know me at all," she yelled once more. Her blood was boiling. The way he spoke with debt made Parisa sick. She had never thought Afshin would talk to her life. Not after what she did to save him.

"I love you Parisa! Don't you understand?" he screamed.

"No, you don't. You don't love me Afshin, and we both know that. Do you know what one of the servants told me? A few weeks ago, I wrote you a letter, only for a woman to return my letter. She said she was your wife!" she screamed out the truth. The truth she had held in for weeks. Suddenly, his face whitened. She was in tears. Tears of betrayal. "And here I am, scared to lose you. I blamed myself when I became closer with Arman. I told myself, girl what are you doing you have a lover. But I was wrong. I don't have a lover. I am a married woman, and you are in no position to do anything. Just leave," she yelled one last time. She turned around, to walk away from him. 

"I didn't give up on us. You did Afshin, you did," she whispered to him before leaving. Yelling the truth allowed her to feel free. She felt lighter than before. And finally, she was free, with nothing holding her back.