chapter twenty-three

"Rise and shine, sleeping beauty," Azin yelled joyfully, as she entered the room. Parisa who was still half asleep let out a heavy sigh. Azin quickly pulled the curtains apart allowing light to come into the dark room. Parisa squinted her eyes, blocking the light as much as she could. As she was about to fall back asleep, she felt a pillow slam her head. That's when she realised Azin had hit her with a pillow that was thrown on the floor.

"Do you mind?" Parisa groaned with annoyance.

"Get up its almost 9 o'clock," she finally said, "You have to meet the girls again, now hurry up," she finished. When Parisa processed her words, she realised the time. It was late. Too late. She quickly jumped up, ready to change.

"Why didn't you wake me up earlier," Parisa yelled as she ran to the bathroom. Her face was a mess. And her hair; her hair was absolutely damaged.

"Totally not because you are heavy sleeper," Azin rolled her eyes in response. Together they managed to get Parisa ready for the day, and no matter how horrible she looked, she was still the most gorgeous girl in the kingdom. Parisa Elaheh-Sassanian the Queen of Persia. A title her name was. A powerful title. She walked out of the room as quick as she could towards the meeting. And once again, the horrid doors opened revealing the horrible ladies of the court. Over the weeks, a few of them had changed. They had changed for the better, but one woman who stayed the same was Zaida. A snake who slithered around the Palace collecting secrets and sleeping with lords.

"Shahbanu," they all said at once, bowing before her. Unlike before, Parisa enjoyed her title. She was proud of it. She nodded and signalled them to sit back down. As she danced her way towards her seat, Zaida kept her eyes glued on Parisa. Parisa smiled to herself in triumph. It's time for the snake to slither her way back to her nest, Parisa reminded herself. Parisa sat down besides Leile who was smiling at Parisa when she noticed Zaida's glare.

For an hour or so, the ladies gossiped about every soul in the Palace. At times, Parisa could hear Zaida talk about Arman and how he 'loved' her. Until it was enough.

"Zaida, why aren't you married?" Parisa asked, already knowing her version of the answer. Zaida went completely silent. She stared at Parisa as if she had just seen a ghost.

"Haven't found the right one," she answered, but both knew it wasn't the answer. And today was the day the snake was to go back into its nest.

"Are you sure?" Parisa asked, "Or is it because sleeping with married men gives you information on everyone?" Parisa asked again before Zaida could answer. At this question, Parisa could see her eyes fuming in anger.

"Your husband didn't complain," Zaida answered in jealousy. From her eyes, Parisa could tell she wanted to make her angry. Parisa smiled at her, noticing her annoyance.

"Did you get information off him too? Did he tell you every single one of my secrets? Or did he just talk about how he devours every bit of my body?" Parisa answered, humiliating Zaida's intentions, "the difference between me and you is that I don't force myself onto anyone," she confronted her. Parisa turned to see Leile who was holding in her laugher. Zaida frowned at Parisa trying to avoid her anger lashing out. She took a few deep breaths controlling herself.

"I will always be his choice," she spat out finally.

"And I will always be his forever and only choice," Parisa answered almost immediately, but before either of them could continue arguing, the doors opened once more. The guards walked in before Arman could. As soon as he walked in, his eyes were set on Parisa. His beautiful wife. Parisa smiled at him enjoying his company, but just like before, she didn't stand up or bow in front of him.

"My shah, what a pleasure it is to see you," Zaida said in a squeaky tone. Her voice always went higher when she was trying to impress someone. She thought she was doing a good job until Leile couldn't hold in her laughter anymore. She laughed so hard at Zaida; she could feel her guts rearranging themselves. Parisa bent her mouth trying not to laugh at Leile's reaction. Arman rolled his eyes at Zaida's greeting, and that was the last straw for Parisa. She too was laughing now. Until the whole table began to laugh at each other's reaction.

"Is there something funny, my lady?" Zaida asked in all seriousness. Parisa took a deep breath to stop laughing but it was almost impossible.

"Something hilarious indeed," Parisa replied. Her voice was filtered by her laughter. A laughter she was trying to contain. As grumpy as ever, Zaida stormed off out the room with annoyance. Knowing she finally put the devil back into hell, Parisa grinned.

"My lady, shall we," Arman finally said breaking the silence they were drawn into. Parisa nodded, holding his hand on their way out the room into the next.