chapter seventeen

Arman began searching everywhere for Parisa. It was as if she had disappeared right back into the ground. He seemed frustrated yet petrified. He wasn't scared or frightened for himself, but for her. If something were to happen to her, he would lose his mind.

"Where is Parisa?" he asked one of the guards, as calmly as he could. But no one gave him an answer. Taking deep breaths, he attempted to calm himself down. He attempted to keep himself glued together, but each part was slowly falling apart.

"Where is my wife?" he yelled this time. A roar so loud no lion could beat it. The terrified guards still gave him no answer. He could feel the flames within him. The same flames that could burn everyone around him. Hell, fire began to erupt, until it didn't. A soft touch on his shoulder calmed him down. A familiar touch. With anger and frustration, he turned to see Parisa standing there, a little confused.

"Are you okay?" she whispered to him. He held his breath in, hoping he wouldn't lash out in anger. She placed her hand onto his cheek, rubbing his cheekbone with her thumb.

"Where did you go? I thought something happened to you. God I would lose⏤," she didn't allow him so continue speaking. She placed her thumb on his lips, avoiding his next sentence. She didn't want to hear it because she knew exactly what he was going to say. She knew it all.

"I'm okay," she reassured him. He needed that assurance more than anything. He craved it. He craved her love. He desired it. Meeting her was like listening to a song for the first time and knowing it would be his favourite. She was a womanly goddess. A powerhouse. An intelligent mind. A woman of power. She was all that, and yet she didn't allow herself to be fully his. Whether it was guilt or confusion, she kept her distance. Until she didn't. Until she couldn't. She pulled his body closer to her own, feeling his warmth. His hands around her waist, and she could swear to God that's all she wanted. They looked at each other a little too long. A little too long for them to not fall in love.

Just for once, she wanted someone to love without the fear of losing them. For once in her life, she wanted something. It was always give, give, give, and never take, take, take. But now she wanted something back. She wanted him. She wanted his hands all over her. She wanted it all. She wanted every part of him, good and bad. She wanted him to tell her everything bad about him and love him anyways. She didn't really believe he was the monster anymore. Maybe she was the monster. Maybe the universe was a monster. Whoever the monster was, it had brought them together. And somehow, she wants thankful. Fate was extraordinary.

Before anything more could happen between them, a familiar voice began yelling from down the hallway. Jahandar. He was yelling Arman's name continuously, rushing towards them. Parisa could feel her nerves popping. She had no idea what was happening and yet she had a feeling. A feeling so horrible, her blood began disappearing.

"We found them! The soldiers who escaped," Jahan yelled from across the hallway. At this moment, Parisa felt her organs fall right out of her body. She felt her stomach sink right onto the floor. They had found Afshin. He was going to die. No matter how betrayed she felt, she couldn't stand the thought of Afshin dying. No matter how much she hated him in this very moment, she didn't want him to die too.

Without a second to waste, Arman sprinted away with Jahan. Parisa needed to go with them. She needed to make sure Afshin was alright. She needed to make sure Arman would stay safe. And so, she ran after them. They were taken to a dark hallway, somewhere in the corner of the Palace. A place so quiet no scream could be heard. And there, she saw him once more. He was on the ground all bloody and bruised. She had only seen his perfectly fine face a couple of minutes ago, but within that short time, his face had been destroyed. Beside him was another boy. It was Emir. Poor Emir had scars painted onto him. He looked helpless, and that's when Parisa blocked the tears from falling.