chapter twenty-six

Down the hallways, and out the gates, Parisa could feel her excitement jumping out of her. They quickly sat in the carriages as the King and Queen of Persia. A title like no other. And just like that, they travelled for one hour to Parisa's hometown. The closer they got to her town, the more familiar her surrounding became. She remembers every inch of her town. After all she had travelled every foot of it with her brother years ago.

When they finally arrived, the carriage stopped ever so gently, allowing them to hop off. The kind rider carefully opened the doors for them as Parisa finally saw her house after months. When she got off the carriage, she couldn't believe her eyes. Her cottage still looked the same, and the farm was still just as green.

"Is my shirt straight?" Arman asked nervously. He had never met Parisa's mother. He was almost certain that in her eyes, he was the evil man who had taken her child away. He wanted to change that. He wanted her to see the good in him, quite like Parisa. Parisa fixed his medals, laughing at his shaking hands. Together, they walked over to her front door, gently knocking on the door.

"Coming!" a yell came from the inside. When her mother opened the door, she almost collapsed onto the cold ground in shock. She couldn't believe her eyes. She rubbed them continuously making sure what she was seeing was real. But before she had the chance to confirm it, Parisa hugged her mother as tight as she could, smelling her sweet rose scented smell.

"Maman jan," Parisa expressed every bit of happiness she had, but her mother was already in tears. She was sobbing uncontrollably, finally seeing her daughter after months. For what seemed like an eternity. Arman stood there for moments, holding in his tears. This scene in front of him only reminded him how much he missed his own mother. How much he missed her embrace. How much he missed her gentle and kind words.

When they finally let go of each other, Parisa's mother noticed Arman's presence. At first, she looked at him with a strange face, calculating his personality. But only seconds later, she fell into a smile so sweet. She hugged him too. And it was then that she realised how much he needed that motherly embrace.

"Thank you, my boy," she whispered in his ear as she let go of him. Her smiled warmed his heart as he nodded his head. He too was smiling now. She had just thanked him for keeping Parisa safe, and for that he was floating in the atmosphere. She happily invited them to her house, setting up a small tea station. After a tea or two, Parisa finally got the chance to invite her mother to breakfast. And after a few begs and pleads, she finally agreed to ride along with them. Together, all three of them, rode the carriage back to the palace. By the time they arrived, it was almost ten o'clock.

Parisa ordered every servant to set up the best breakfast table for their family of seven, including Jahandar and his wife, Leile. Maman Azar, Parisa's mother, carefully observed her daughter and Arman. That's when she realised, they were actually happy together. He loved her and treated her like a queen. And she in return loved him and provided him with the love he deserved. Maman Azar was now the happiest mother on earth. To know her daughter was happily married was a burden drawn off her shoulders.

When Parisa introduced her mother to Aziz Banu and Darya, the three of them immediately bonded. But what was much more fascinating to Parisa was the sight of Arman finally seeing his sister after a year or so. He looked at her with a proud smile. She had grown into a beautiful and independent woman, just like their mother. When she saw Arman, she almost fell into tears from happiness. It was a family reunion at its finest. A beautiful scene to witness.

And finally, it was time for a family breakfast like no other. The servants had prepared the table with Persian Feta, special Barbari bread, cucumbers, tomatoes, honey mixed with cream and finally a fresh pot of tea. The table was filled with delicate items. Delicate food items that painted the table with colour. And finally, Azin arrived, pointing out each of their seats. When she looked at Parisa, she smiled, but Parisa saw something on her neck. A bruise looking circle. A love mark as she recognised it with clarity. Suddenly, Parisa's eyes widened in silence with her mouth opening wide open. She gave Azin a dirty look, knowing exactly what she had done the night before. But what she couldn't figure out was who it was. However, it didn't take a genius to figure it out. She turned her head to see Emir standing at the door, nervously looking and Azin. And that's when Parisa cracked the code. She secretly gave Azin a smirk, pointing at Emir as confirmation. Of course, it was Emir, she finally thought in her brain.

As they all sat around the table, Parisa invited Azin and Emir to sit down next to Jahandar and Leile to enjoy breakfast. No matter their ranking, they deserved happiness too. The garcons poured each and every one of them a glass of tea, along with a saffron rock candy as the sweetener. And as a big family for once, they all began eating, enjoying each other's company.  A table filled with laughter and joy. A kingdom blossomed with hope and a future ahead of them. And even those who didn't live to see this day, glanced the from up above, enjoying the happiness they witnessed.

Time was a strange concept. Some days it was in your favour and the others, it tore you apart into pieces. Today was a good one. A time for joy. A golden memory embedded in each and every one of their brains.  And even if times like this seemed short, they had all the time in the world they needed. They had a forever ahead of them, and Arman had promised Parisa forever. They had promised each other an eternity of love. A thousand and one lifetimes of love, and just like the stories, they were blessed by the Huma bird. Blessed by each other.