Rookie

Man, this is going to be crazy. Will we really be able to catch them? My mind is whirling in surprise as Alice folds her arms over her chest.

"So, what do you think? This case is going to be a lot more then normal." I can see her hand motion in a small wave towards me. "You think you can handle it?" Looking up, I shake my head and blurt out before the Chief could.

"We got this handled!" Both look from each other to me in a heartbeat, my face flush. The look on Chiefs face is one between slight surprise and amusement. Alice on the other hand had a smile on her worn face, hours of work has crept upon her crows feet.

"You got a fireball here Andrew." She jabs the air with her thumb as she speaks. "Keep an eye on this one, might steal your job from underneath you." The joking tone makes Chief shake his head, before turning towards the double doors.

"In her dreams!" He yells over his shoulder before disappearing out into the main hall. Feeling a hand on my shoulder, Alice stands there with a goofy smile.

"Been a while since someone got some fire under his ass. Keep it up."

Nodding, I quickly turn on my heels and dash after the Chief who surprisingly has already made it around the corner. Rushing after him my shoes click loudly in the quiet hallway, its only when I round the corner do I come face to face with darkness. Something hard hitting me square in the nose, my vision blinking out as I hit the ground. Groaning the sound of footfalls rush passed.

"Rookie?!" Cursing aloud I feel rough fingers grip my shoulder, nearly lifting me off the ground as I try to sit up.

"What in the hell?" I grumble as a few other officer's rush after whoever had the bright idea. Placing my hand over my nose I can feel that its already trying to swell. "Who?"

"Sir! Their gone? Just poof gone!" An officer about my age steps over to us a look of bewilderment on his freckled face as he throws his hands out around him.

"What the hell do you mean their gone!? No one can just pop in and out of thin air like that!" Chief yelled, helping me to my feet. Before he could yell even more, the loud blistered sound of shattered glass reaches are ears. Releasing me, Chief rushes passed, back to the morgue nearly knocking me into the now wide-eyed officer whose badge I can finally read.

'Ruth.'

Releasing my nose, I move to follow the Chief. Catching up with him in no time he stands before the now wide double doors. Glass all scattered across the marble floor; Alice and her assistant are behind a piece of hanging metal shock written all over their faces.

"Where is he? Alice?!"

"He... he just." She closes both hands in front of her before opening them wide. "Poof! What in the Hell have we gotten ourselves into Andrew?! "She stands coming around the screen, blood soaking her apron as her assistant gets up after her, his hand covered in small shards and cuts.

That's when her eyes widened, looking towards the forgotten bodies. Both bodies are now slashed up, the marks beyond recognition as her assistant steps over to us.

"I- I hit him." He finally stutters out his body shaking. Paramedics arrived shortly after, cracking my nose back into place and bandaging the assistants hand up. My heart still racing as I step through the precinct and towards the back offices where Chief leaned against his desk eyes transfixed to the window and outside parade of people minding there own business.

"So." I began stepping into the room Chief moves to sit at his desk, head in his hands and an exhausted look on his face. "What do we do now Chief?" Looking over to me he lets out a sigh and stands to his feet.

"We wait... and hope another clue will pops into our laps sooner rather then later."