???

'Why would they want this?' I stand in front of the police station a lit cigarette against my chapped lips, the smoke pluming from the corners as I have one hand in my pocket a tight grip on the rough parchment. Days after the body's discovery, I had awoken to a single piece of rugged parchment on my car's driver side window.

Instructions to delay their game, but why? Was it something we did? Are we moving to fast for his liking?

I couldn't rack my brain around it as I smudged out what was left of the cigarette. The soft tingle of eyes danced across the back of my skull.

'They were watching...'

Letting out a sigh, I kick off the side of my truck and make my way inside. The only worry in my brain being of getting caught as some eyes landed on me. Shuffling over to the front desk the receptionist lifted her head from the thick hardback book she had been reading.

"What can I do you for sweetheart?" The draw makes me cringe internally as I rub the back of my neck.

"By any chance did the body of Lewis Chesterfield be brought here this morning?" She nods, typing something up on her computer before speaking.

"Mr. and Mrs. Chesterfield were brought in this morning, are you a relative?"

"Yes, ma'am I'm their son." I quickly say pulling out a sheet of paper from my inner coat pocket, in hospital italics sat the words Birth Certificate. Handing it off the woman checks it over before nodding. Handing it back to me she points towards a set of double doors.

"Head through the double doors, take the hall all the way to another set of double doors, above it will say A. Morgue they are there. Mrs. Alice will help you."

"Thank you." I nod, swiftly turning and disappearing behind the double doors. Letting out a sigh of relief my feet carry me down the quiet hallway towards the morgue where through the doors I can see through the small windows who I could only presume as Alice and two officers that look familiar. Cursing I back up out of sight as their faces finally clicked.

'Why now out of all times? Do you truly have a death wish for me?'

Turning around the double doors at the end of the hall I had entered swing open, banging against the wall as a loud voice ring out.

"I can not believe you would let some strangers go in? Don't you idiots do background checks?"

"He had a birth certificate sir, Mrs. Iris thought nothing of it."

"I CAN TELL!!" The argument continued drawing closer. Looking around, I duck within one of the open doors, keeping it ajar as the sound of the morgue doors open and with nothing really left to lose. The sound of thudding foot falls draw passed me. Flinging the door open, the chief of the station has passed me towards the commotion.

Quickly rounding the corner, I nearly collide with a young woman. 

'This will be my only chance.' Came the quick thought as I lifted my fist and threw it forward, hitting the poor girl dead in the nose. Cursing, I yank my fist back and rush passed her into the morgue.

Mrs. Alice and a younger boy stand over the bodies, coughing both turn to face me. The blood feels as though it has drained straight to my brain, making me lightheaded as I draw my partners knife from my back.

"Excuse me." I mumble as they back up, her hand over her assistant as I draw to the bodies. Digging the blade in and destroying my beautiful work.

Distracted something sharp hits me in the back of the head, the warmth of blood dripping down from my neck as I turn to look at the assistant who staggers back a now broken glass pan in their hand.

'Oh, how they would have loved to be here right now.'

Before I knew it my vision was spotting, between the light headedness and now glass in my neck the world was fading fast. Falling to one side I feel the tingle of eyes against my body, and without warning the world faded away around me.