13. it's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake

Chestnut shells were scattered all over the kitchen floor

  Chestnut shells were scattered all over the kitchen floor. Trey, Deuce, and Grim were using magic to peel the nuts, making the process a little quicker. Since Ace and Yuu couldn't use magic however, they had to do it by hand. They had to stop Grim from eating the nuts several times.

"Look at me, Yuu! I managed to peel them off cleanly!" Ace said, showing off his peeling skills to Yuu. Yuu leaned over and grinned.

"Ooo, nice."

Trey nodded in approval. "I'm surprised. You're very dexterous Ace."

"Pretty much. I'm a different caliber from Mr. Serious and that cat over there."

Deuce and Grim shot angry looks at the carrot head.

"I peeled them cleanly too! See for yourself!"

"Me, too, compare mine to Ace!"

"Alright, alright, ya'll did good." Yuu said, trying to settle down the sudden competition that arose.

Trey shook his head at the rowdy bunch.

"Haha...we still have a lot to peel, but look at you being so energetic."

After finishing the peeling, they then had to strain them. Yuu's hands were sore by the end.

"Ouch..."

"Agh, we're finally done peeling them all."

"My arms hurt..."

Trey had started making the filling. "Great job. I'm sure that your hard work will be all worth it.

Grim's mouth watered. "I'm getting hungry just by the smell..."

"The marron base uses butter and sugar. And then, I also add oyster sauce as a secret ingredient.

"Hold up, wait a minute. Oyster sauce?" Yuu said, wondering if they heard Trey right.

Ace and Deuce were equally as surprised. "Oyster sauce!?"

"Exactly. The umami that comes from the oyster gives the cream a rich flavor. There's no famous pâtissière who doesn't use this for their tarts."

"Really? It's a really salty sauce, isn't it?" Deuce questioned.

Yuu, although distressed, tried to reason with this decision. "I mean, maybe that could work?? Depends on how much you put in there, right? I guess I can see it being a replacement for salt."

"I mean they put chocolate in curry, so I guess it kinda makes sense..." said Ace.

Trey began to laugh. The trio gave each other glances of confusion.

"I was just joking! There's no way I'd put oyster sauce in a dessert."

"OHHHH-" Yuu facepalmed at their own naivety, hiding their face in their hands. Trey chuckled at the gesture.