18. becoming walmart sherlock holmes

"Hah! You're underestimating us. Listen here, Teach! There's nothing I despise more than being told 'You'll never become number one!' Got it?"

"That's not what I'm saying..."

Crowley had proposed to have Malleus Draconia become a member of the Hall of Fame, so he would only need to make a special appearance at the tournament. This was because once he had joined Diasomnia, their dorm has won every tournament since without using any magic. Crowley then brought up the fact that even Savanaclaw's team, the team with the most amount of players aiming to be in the professional league, stood barely a chance against Diasomnia, which in turn would affect their future. This struck a nerve in Savanaclaw's usually uncaring dorm head.

"Then what are you trying to say? In any case, Magift doesn't only rely on just the body. It's important to think too, right?"

Kalim was still discouraged. "I don't think I could win against Malleus in that department either."

"Yeah, probably. But I'm different from you. No one can win against that guy when it comes to power, but there are other methods available. The King of Beasts managed to rise to power because of effort and wisdom. Use your heads and think of a way to win against that monster, too! If you manage to win, the whole world might just praise you. Are you really going to let this chance get away?"

Most of the other dorm leaders were swayed by Leona's argument.

"So you do make great points from time to time. I was about to say that the Headmaster's suggestion was nonsense as well. Excluding the people with talent is considered an unconscious bias. Don't you think it's similar to being unconsciously prejudiced? And I disagree with that notion."

"I agree with Vil's opinion. As a fellow magician, I find it unsightly to run away before even trying."

Leona smirked. "That hotshot's defeated face will be broadcast internationally. Just imagining it is enough to make you sing your own praises, right?"

"Fufu. That sounds like a good way to amass ratings." said Azul.

Kalim nodded. "Yup, yup. I don't wanna be left out, too!"

"Eh? What's going on?" Idia spoke via floating tablet. "Am I the only one who thinks he should be in the Hall of Fame?"

"Majority rules, Teach. We're not hearing any more of this Hall of Fame crap."

"Goodness me...I understand. However, he shall be inducted next year as my condition for letting him compete this year."

"Do what you want."

"Now then, that is all for today's meeting." Azul concluded. "Everyone, please make sure to turn in your registrations. Though personally, I wouldn't mind if you turned them in late." His eyes glinted, knowing full well they would have to pay if they wanted to turn in registrations late.

Vil glanced at the empty seat next to him. "By the way, did you all forget to invite Malleus to the meeting again?"

"..Ah!"

_________________________________

Two people were at the bottom of the stairs, one holding his leg in pain while the other fretted over him. Not too far away, a person stood, watching the two stagger to the nurse's office. The person's animalistic ears twitched as he snickered.

"Shishishishi!"

Yuu heard the droplets again. Groaning, they pulled their pillow over their head for some relief.

_________________________________

Yuu watched Grim play Magift with the ghosts outside as they ate their breakfast. Grim had been gloomy ever since the headmaster told him he couldn't play in the tournament. So, the ghost offered to play a round or two with him. As they were playing, Crowley came over to ask them something.