extra chapter: after school training

*this takes place prolly sometime after chapter 2??

Yuu was goofing around with Grim, Ace, and Deuce in the halls like usual, when Ruggie walked up to them still in his gym attire, seemingly coming from P.E.

"Ay, Yuu! Vargas wants to see you. He's in the gym."

Yuu's eyes widened, as they spun around to face him. "Huh? What for?"

"Dunno. He didn't say. Maybe it's about the time you almost broke your ass trying to backflip off your broomstick?" Ruggie snickered.

Yuu covered their mouth in fear. "I thought he wasn't looking!! Did someone snitch?"

"Well, it definitely wasn't me. Anyways, he said he wanted to see you immediately, so you miiiiight wanna hurry up before he comes hunting for you."

"Oh lord...."

"Sucks to suck! See ya!"

The hyena smacked Yuu in the shoulder as he walked past them. Once he disappeared around the corner, they looked at Ace and Deuce, clearly mortified.

"Ohhh...he'll twist me up into a pretzel, guys...he'll chop me up in a meat grinder and serve me as the Sunday Special..."

Though doubtful of their fate, Deuce tried to comfort them." Ah, he's probably not that pissed off. You'll be fine, I think."

"You think?"

Ace was much less sympathetic.

"Dang, you're getting called over by a teacher again?? What a troublemaker you are..."

"Hey now, you have no room to talk." Yuu sighed, picking up their bookbag. "Sorry, but could you two watch Grim for me? Make sure he doesn't blow up the place or something?"

Deuce sideyed Grim as he was not very subtly stealing a snack from Ace's bag. "...Sure. See you later."

"Yeah, don't leave us with this little bozo for too long." Ace added.

Grim finally looked up from whatever he was doing, face full of crumbs and annoyance. "What'd you call me, spiky head?"

"Ha, nothi- DID YOU EAT MY SNACKS AGAIN!?"

"Nuh uh!"

"I can SEE the wrappers in your GRUBBY PAWS!"

I hope there is a "later" for me, Yuu thought to themselves as they headed for the gym, the sounds of Ace and Grim (and seconds later Deuce) yelling at each other growing further and further.

"I can already feel that this is gonna be rough," they murmured, paying little mind to the crashing, animalistic yowling, and whip cracking behind them.

______________________

Yuu arrived at the gym, where, sure enough, Coach Vargas was.

"Ah, there you are. You got your gym clothes with you?"

"Uh-" Yuu felt around in their bag, "Yeah, I think so."

"Good, cuz you'll need them today. Go get changed."

Oh boy...

"Yes sir." Yuu walked a bit solemnly to the locker room.

Minutes later, they came back in a loose t-shirt and gym shorts. Vargas had a serious expression on his face.

"Do you know why I called you here?"

"No, sir."

"You're probably thinking it's because of the stunts you were doing during flying class, which I SAW, by the way. Don't think you're slick. Expect some extra flying lessons soon."

Yuu tried not to roll their eyes.

"But, there's another thing. Do you recall the Magical Shift tournament?"

"Hahh, how could I not?"

Not this again. Every week at least one person brings it up.

Vargas stroked his beard. "Your speed and agility were alright, so I guess you got that going for you, but that hit from the disk messed you up bad, huh. I mean, the little guy didn't even throw it correctly, or that hard for that matter, and you got completely knocked out. Just crumpled onto the floor like a towel. A sad, limp, damp towel. Ya didn't even stop or stumble or anything. You just, splat. No fighting, no screaming, no hollering... one hit and it was all over."

Every word he spoke about the incident felt like a lead bullet being shot into Yuu's chest.

"Alright coach, I get it-"

"You're also Crowley's little errand kid, right? You're gonna need a lot more energy and strength if that's the case."

Yuu's nose scrunched up at the thought. "I wouldn't call myself that."

"The point I'm trying to get to is, you need a bunch of strength and endurance training, bud. I know you don't have any magic, but that doesn't mean you can't be capable." He grinned and flexed a little. "I don't even need magic to lift up folks twice- no, triple my size!"

"Uh huh."

"So, I've decided. You and I will meet up every weekday after school for training, starting...right now!"

Yuu felt an oncoming urge to start bawling. "What are we gonna do, sir?"

"What's with that look on your face? We're not doing anything that vigorous yet. Just some weight lifting, a few laps around and some lunges across the field, maybe some sets of pushups and sit-ups..."

"Wow. So many things to do. Exciting."

NOOOO THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS AFRAID OF!! IM GONNA COME BACK FROM THIS ONE FOOT IN THE CASKET!! THE JANITORS ARE GONNA HAVE TO SCRUB MY BLOOD, SWEAT AND TEARS FROM THE FLOOR!!

"That's the spirit! Let's get moving to the field!"

______________________

"Yuu texted us saying they're done meeting with Vargas." Deuce told the others as he checked the recent notifs in his phone. "They're in the cafeteria right now."

"Geez, FINALLY." Ace scoffed, picking at the bandaids on his face. "It's been what, three hours?"

"Three hours! Coach must've been real mad!" Grim exclaimed.

"Yeah, hope they're okay..."

The three of them walked over to the cafeteria, where it was a bit crowded. After a bit of searching, they found Yuu, sitting at a table with their head down.

"Hey, Yuu! Took you long enough!" Ace greeted them. "What happened?"

No response.

"Eh? Yuu?" Ace said, shaking them. "Is something wrong? Did Vargas kill you?"

"What happened in those three hours?" Deuce asked, poking their head.

"Oi, human! You alive!?"

"Mmmmmmfrghhhhh...."

Yuu finally responded with a pained grumble.

"Training. A lot of it. Hard to breathe. Limbs hurt. Mouth dry. Vision fading."

"Do you need to see a nurse of something?!"

"When I die, you guys can have a rock-paper-scissors tournament for my inheritance."

"Don't say that!"

sry i've been dead for one sextillion years, i kinda drifted from the twst fandom for a bit, but now i'm fixated on it again lmao