Chapter 29

Katherine's POV

Why was Tom acting like that?

He took my hand and placed it on his lap brushing it slowly with his thumb and then he tilted his head back and just stared to the ceiling for a while.

"Tom, is everything ok?" I asked worried. I didn't like this situation.

Tom turned to look at me and didn't say anything, he just stared.

"Hey. What's wrong?" I asked again.

"You'll leave me if I say this..." he kissed my hand and then let it go "...I don't want that to happen. I promise I'll fix everything. I'll make this place perfect. I–..."

"Tom!" I yelled at him so he could stop saying all this nonsense. "Tell me what's on your mind. What's bothering you?"

"But–..."

"I won't leave you. I made a promise. No lies, no secrets, no leaving. And I'm willing to keep it. All I want from you is trust. Do you trust me?"

"I trust you with my life" he said looking me in the eyes and I didn't break the contact.

"Good. Now tell me, what is this all about?"

Tom took a moment to think, maybe he was searching for the right words to bring this isseu up. I just hope it's not going to be bad.

"Harry Potter is not dead..."

Shit.

"...Please don't say anything yet and let me explain..." he let a heavy breath out and continued "...Potter and his two friends are not dead. Everything happened so fast I can't even explain with words, but I'll try, for you..."

Oh no...

"...I think you practically know what happened in the Hogwarts battle, so I'm not going into details..." Tom said trying to avoid eye contact as much as possible and playing with hand on his lap.

"Really? Why so? I thought you loved details. Everyone knows you're a perfectionist. You either do something right or don't do it at all" I interrupted.

"...Well, I don't think you'd like to hear all that, my darling–"

"You're right. I wouldn't" I took my hand away from him and placed it on my lap insted.

This time he looked at me. Tom didn't like the way I agressivly moved my hand away from him, but he didn't say anything. He just kept talking.

But you can't blame me for my actions. There's so much blood in those hands, maybe they were gentle to me, maybe those hands would make hell feel like haven to me, but it's hard to forget that it's not the same for others. Especially when he is talking about this.

"...Right...As I was saying, so many things happened during the Hogwarts battle and everything was going according to my plan, until I faced Potter for the last time. I almost defeated him. Weasly and Granger ran to him trying to help. I was so close to finishing it, I had them right where I wanted, but then..."

I gulped scared. I really feared the next few words he would say.

"...A bright light appeared out of nowhere and it was standing in between me and them. Everyone was blinded from it, even me, and the second I opened my eyes they were gone. I told everyone that I killed them and that the light was caused by my power. All of them believed me, and here I am now, the most powerful wizard in the history, Head of Minisry of Magic and Hogwarts too, even though I'm not a headmaster anymore."

Thank god, he didn't recognize me that day. My mother taught me well.

"How many people know the truth?"