Chapter 29: Identified

Louis’s POV:
            We scanned the mall for hours, with no luck in finding Valerie. We were at home now. Paul was still at the mall with the police, searching for any clues, going through the surveillance tapes, doing all they could to try and find her. I just wanted to be with them, helping them look, but Paul had sent us home. As soon as we had gotten back to the flat, I went up into Valerie’s room and locked the door. The others tried to get me to open the door, but I refused.
            I sat on her bed and lay down. I grabbed her pillow and buried my face into it. It still smelled of her lilac shampoo.
            “Louis,” Harry called from the other side of the door. I sighed. I had to open the door eventually. I got up and walked to the door. I unlocked it and opened the door. Harry leaned on the opposite wall. His eyes were red and he looked like he had been crying.
            “Have you been crying?” I asked, my voice cracking a little. Harry nodded. I turned and walked back to the bed and sat down.
            “Paul’s been watching the security tapes,” Harry said, “And he found something.” I looked up at him.
            “What?” I asked, “What did he find?” Harry sighed.
            “Come with me,” he said. I got up and followed him down the stairs. I ignored the others, who were sitting in the living room, and Harry and I walked out. We got into Harry’s car and soon we were on the road.
            “Harry,” I started, “What did Paul find?” Harry sighed again.
            “He was watching the security tapes,” Harry began, “He saw something weird that he thought you should see. That’s all I know right now, but Paul said he wanted you to come right away.”

*At the Mall*

            “Paul,” Harry called. Paul turned and caught sight of us. He waved us over to him and when we reached him, he led us to one of the police vans. We went to the back of the van, where a police officer was watching a screen.
            “Boys,” Paul began, “This is Officer Jones. He’s the one in charge of finding Valerie.” Officer Jones turned to us and shook our hands.
            “Hi boys,” he said, “Louis, I need you to take a look at this tape.” He motioned for us to take a look at the screen. He turned it to us and started to play the tape. It was the parking lot of the mall. Everything was normal for a while, until two people came in from the corner. One was blond and the other had hair like Valerie’s. It looked as though the blond girl was dragging the other.
            “Do you think that’s Valerie?” Harry asked. Officer Jones typed a bit on a keyboard and soon the view of the tape changed. The two girls came into view again and this time their faces were shown. It was Valerie who was being dragged. She was unconscious.
            “Can you tell who the girl is who’s dragging her?” Officer Jones asked. I took a closer look at the screen. The face looked familiar, but the hair… it was different.
            “Harry,” I said, “Doesn’t that look like Eleanor?” I asked. Harry took a look at the face and nodded.
            “But her hair…” he trailed off.
            “It’s possible she could have dyed it,” I said, “Maybe that’s why no one’s spotted her lately.” Harry nodded.
            “So this is definitely Eleanor?” Officer Jones asked. Harry and I nodded.

Valerie’s POV:
            My head was killing me. I opened my eyes but I was still in the dark. I tried to touch my face, see what was blinding me, but I couldn’t move my hands.
            “The sleeping beauty awakes,” a man’s voice said. It was familiar, like I had heard it before. I froze and listened, “Do you remember me sweet cheeks? Do you remember that gas station in the U.S.?” I felt a hand trail up my leg and I squirmed to try and get away, but another hand held me in place, “There won’t be any getting away now.”
            I tried to scream, but there was cloth that muffled it.
            “No one can hear you Valerie,” Eleanor’s voice said, “No one will find you.”