Chapter 32: Progress

Harry’s POV:
*One Month Later*
            Valerie still hasn’t woken up and it was taking a toll on all of us, especially Louis. He only left her side to shower and change his clothes. He wouldn’t go to interviews or photo shoots and management wasn’t exactly happy with him. He wouldn’t even eat unless one of us brought food to him.
            The DNA test confirmed that it had been Derek Macentire that raped Valerie. When Holly heard about the results, she went into a rage; I’d never seen anyone as angry as Holly had gotten. She even locked herself in the restroom for half an hour. At least she didn’t start throwing things like Zayn, Louis, or I would have. The thing is, when Holly came out of the restroom, I found small drops of blood on the floor. I had been meaning to ask her about the blood for a while now, but we were always either with the others or too tired to talk after a long day. But tonight we were alone, and I needed to know.
            We were sitting in the living room, watching a movie Holly had picked out. I paused the movie and turned to Holly once I was sure the flat was empty except for the two of us.
            “Holly,” I began, “Remember the day we got the DNA test results back?” Holly’s jaw clenched and she nodded, “You went into the restroom and locked yourself in there. When you calmed down and left, I found drops of blood on the floor.” Holly bit her lip and looked down, “Where did the blood come from Holly?” She sighed.
            “I meant to tell you this a while ago,” she began, “But Valerie went missing and with her in a coma, it just slipped my mind.” She turned to face me, “This trip to London wasn’t a birthday gift from my parents. They died fourteen years ago. This trip was to get away from my aunt and uncle, who abused Derek and I ever since my parents’ deaths. Derek turned to beer and booze for comfort. I however…” Holly pulled up the sleeves of her shirt and turned her arms over so that I could see the scars. They went from her wrist to the back side of her elbow, “It didn’t help that the kids at school bullied me either. It just made matters worse.” I gently touched the cuts on her arm and traced my fingers along them. Some were old and faded, while others looked only days old.
            “When did you last cut?” I asked, keeping my voice to barely a whisper.
            “A few days ago,” Holly admitted.
            “Why?” I asked, “Why cut Holly?”
            “I hadn’t for a while,” Holly sighed, “But I had started getting hate from your fans. It didn’t bother me at first, but eventually I actually started to believe them.” She leaned forward and rested her chin in her hands, “Then with Valerie in a coma, and Derek being a dickhead… it was my breaking point.” She leaned back and stared up at the ceiling and sighed. I saw a few tears roll down her cheek and I wrapped my arm around her and pulled her closer to me.
            “I’m glad you told me,” I said, “Instead of keeping it a secret. But I need you to promise me one thing.”
            “What?”
            “Please try to not cut again,” I said, “And if you ever feel the urge to cut, please come to me.” Holly nodded and rested her head on my shoulder. I kissed her forehead and we sat there in silence, just enjoying each other’s company.

Louis’s POV:
            I was in my usual place, right beside her bed, holding her hand. I knew that this was unhealthy, but I just couldn’t bear to be away from her. Even leaving for those few minutes to shower and change was agony.
            Her injuries had healed quite a bit. The cuts hadn’t gotten infected and were only scars now, same with the head wound. The bullet wound was healing as well. All in all, her recovery was going great.
            But she still hadn’t woken up.
            There was a knock at the door and I turned to see Liam standing there. I guess it was his turn to bring the food today, because he had two paper bags from McDonalds in his hand.
            “Hey Louis,” he said. He walked into the room and pulled up a chair next to me. He handed me one of the bags and opened his own. I set my bag on a nearby table, not hungry at the moment. Liam saw this and sighed.
            “You really should eat something,” he said, “Starving yourself won’t make her wake up any faster.”
            “I’m not starving myself Liam,” I replied, “I’m just not hungry right now.”
            “You haven’t eaten in two days,” Liam said. Had it really been two days? “Please just eat a chip or something.” I sighed and opened the bag. I pulled out a chip and ate it.
            “Happy?” I asked. Liam glared at me, then looked at the bag, then back at me. I sighed and took the sandwich out of the bag, “Fine, I’ll eat.” Liam smiled and took the food out of his bag.
            “Any updates?” Liam asked. I shook my head.
            “None. I don’t get it, she’s healing fast and she’s doing great. It’s been a month, why hasn’t she woken up?”
            “You just have to give her time,” Liam said, “She’s a fighter Louis, she’ll wake up soon.”