Chapter Forty-Two

The energetic sound of people screaming and laughing rushed past my ears as Nathan and I walked further into the park. I raised my eyebrows as we turned a corner, and caught sight of a big carousel alongside lines and lines of different concession and game stands.

"A fair? That's what the surprise was?" I smiled as I turned to face him. 

Nathan, had barged into my room in his normal fashion this morning, but this time instead of spraying me with a bottle, he had poked me with a stick. I admit it was a slightly better way to be awoken, but it still could use some improvement. 

Anyway, after being a total arse, he had proceeded to order me to put on some clothes because he was taking me somewhere 'awesome.' He also mumbled on about how this could count as a second apology for how he treated me which again made me feel a little guilty but I didn't dwell on it.

Despite my unwavering persistence to squeeze an answer out of him, he didn't spill an inkling of a hint about where we were going. I swear to god, the pure reason why he wasn't telling me was that he knew it was a number one effective way to piss me off.

He turned to me with a smile. "Well, what did you expect? You did tell Noah I was taking you to the fair, so I decided to make it the truth," he shrugged.

"Hmm, I like your thinking," I drawled as I lightly bumped his hip with mine. 

He shook his head immediately. "Yeah, no, don't do that," he said flatly. 

"Why?" I snickered.

"Because it's weird, and it embarrasses me," he said bluntly.

"All the more reason to do it," I sang as I saddled up alongside him and gave him an extra vicious bump with my hip. 

He let out a grunt as he jolted to the side, and I just snorted. Once he had recovered, he scowled and moved back beside me before hitting me back with his hip just as hard.

I shuffled to the side immediately, causing me to almost hit a young man in the process. I returned back beside him and gave him a playful push. "You almost made me bang into someone, you idiot," I laughed. "And besides, what happened to hip-bumping being weird, huh?" I probed. 

"Correction -it's only weird when you do it," he said with a teasing smile.

Rolling my eyes, I took my attention off of Nathan and back to my surroundings. My eyes immediately zeroed in on a churro stand in the distance. Before I could yell at Nathan to go buy me some, a young man stepped out in front of us, causing us both to come to a sudden stop. He was a tan, thirty-ish looking man and greeted us with a bright, friendly smile.

Nathan, for a reason unbeknownst to me sharply took my hand in his as though it was instinctive. Before I could ask Nathan what the fuck, he thought he was doing, the man in front of us cleared his throat.

 "Tourists, right? Let me guess, English," he questioned as he looked eagerly between the two of us. His words were underlaid with a thick Greek accent, confirming my initial assumption that he was a local.

"Yeah, we are," I said, smiling politely.

"Well, I've got a perfect game for such a beautiful couple," he said as he nodded his head towards his table.

"We're not together."

"Okay, what's the game?"

Nathan and I both spoke at the same time, so it took me a minute to register what he had said. Once I did, I eyed Nathan in confusion, suspicious as to why he hadn't bothered to correct the guy about the nature of our relationship.