Superstitions and New Toys

The Quidditch season had begun. On Saturday, Harry would be playing in his first match after weeks of training: Gryffindor versus Slytherin. If Gryffindor won, they would move up into second place in the house championship. Hardly anyone had seen Harry play because Wood had decided that, as their secret weapon, Harry should be kept, well, secret. But the news that he was playing Seeker had leaked out somehow, and Harry didn't know which was worse — people telling him he'd be brilliant or people telling him they'd be running around underneath him holding a mattress. He was exceptionally nervous, to say the least. It was really lucky that Harry now had Hermione as a friend. He didn't know how he'd have gotten through all his homework without her, what with all the last-minute Quidditch practice Wood was making them do. She had also lent him Quidditch Through the Ages, which turned out to be a very interesting read. Harry learned that there were seven hundred ways of committing a Quidditch foul and that all of them had happened during a World Cup match in 1473; that Seekers were usually the smallest and fastest players, and that most serious Quidditch accidents seemed to happen to them; that although people rarely died playing Quidditch, referees had been known to vanish and turn up months later in the Sahara Desert. Hermione had become a bit more relaxed about breaking rules since (Y/N), Harry and Ron had saved her from the mountain troll, and she was much nicer for it. They would often make time to go and see (Y/N) in the hospital ward as he silently complained about Madam Pomfrey letting him out. He had been there for a total of two days now. Hermione often visited him as Harry was too busy with training and Ron was helping Harry out. (Y/N) bonded as Hermione kept him up with his classes and always left him with some books (no surprise there) and homework (he wasn't too happy about that either). 

The day before Harry's first Quidditch match the three of them were out in the freezing courtyard during the break, and she had conjured them up a bright blue fire that could be carried around in a jam jar, providing some warmth to their slowly numbing skin. They were standing with their backs to it when Snape crossed the yard. Harry noticed at once that Snape was still limping. Harry, Ron, and Hermione moved closer together to block the fire from view; they were sure it wouldn't be allowed. Unfortunately, something about their guilty faces caught Snape's eye as smiled with delight. He limped over. He hadn't seen the fire, but he seemed to be looking for a reason to tell them off anyway, after all, it was Snape. "What's that you've got there, Potter?" Snape questioned. It was Quidditch Through the Ages. Harry showed him. "Library books are not to be taken outside the school," said Snape. "Give it to me. Five points from Gryffindor." "He's just made that rule up," Harry muttered angrily as Snape limped away. "Wonder what's wrong with his leg?". "Dunno, but I hope it's really hurting him," said Ron bitterly. The Gryffindor common room was very noisy that evening. Harry, Ron, and Hermione sat together next to a window. Hermione had just returned from visiting (Y/N) and began checking Harry and Ron's Charms homework for them. She would never let them copy her work ("How will you ever learn?" rang true to Harry and Ron's ears whenever they asked), but by asking her to read it through, they got the right answers as their homework was littered in notes and annotations in small neat handwriting. Harry felt restless. He wanted Quidditch Through the Ages back, to take his mind off his nerves about tomorrow. Why should he be afraid of Snape Getting up, he told Ron and Hermione he was going to ask Snape if he could have it. "Better you than me," they said together, but Harry had an idea that Snape wouldn't refuse if there were other teachers listening. He made his way down to the staffroom and knocked. There was no answer. He knocked again. Nothing. Perhaps Snape had left the book in there? It was worth a try. He pushed the door ajar and peered inside – and a horrible scene met his eyes. Snape and Filch were inside, alone. Snape was holding his robes above his knees. One of his legs was bloody and mangled. Filch was handing Snape bandages. "Blasted thing," Snape was saying. "How are you supposed to keep your eyes on all three heads at once?" Harry tried to shut the door quietly, but —"POTTER!" Snape yelled, he was twisted with fury as he dropped his robes quickly to hide his leg. Harry gulped. "I just wondered if I could have my book back." "GET OUT! OUT!" Harry left, before Snape could take any more points from Gryffindor. He sprinted back upstairs to the Gryffindor common room.