Winter is Here...

Christmas was just around the corner. It got colder and colder as the lake froze solid and Hogwarts found itself covered in several feet of snow. Worst of all were Professor Snape's classes down in the dungeons, where their breath rose in a mist before them and they kept as close as possible to their hot cauldrons." I do feel so sorry," said Draco Malfoy in one Potions class, "for all those people who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home."He was looking over at Harry and I as he spoke. Crabbe and Goyle chuckled. We ignored his comment as Ron muttered under his breath "foul git".  

We left the dungeons at the end of Potions, we found a large tree blocking the corridor ahead. Two enormous feet sticking out at the bottom and a loud puffing sound told us that Hagrid was behind it."Hi, Hagrid, want any help?" Ron asked, sticking his head through the branches."Nah, I'm all right, thanks, Ron." "Would you mind moving out of the way?" came Malfoy's cold drawl from behind them. "Are you trying to earn some extra money, Weasley? Hoping to be gamekeeper yourself when you leave Hogwarts, I suppose — that hut of Hagrid's must seem like a palace compared to what your family's used to."Ron dived at Malfoy just as Snape came up the stairs."WEASLEY!"Ron let go of the front of Malfoy's robes."He was provoked, Professor Snape," said Hagrid, sticking his huge hairy face out from behind the tree. "Malfoy was insultin' his family.""Be that as it may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Hagrid," said Snape silkily. "Five points from Gryffindor, Weasley, and be grateful it isn't more. Move along, all of you."Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle pushed roughly past the tree, scattering needles everywhere and smirking."I'll get him," said Ron, grinding his teeth at Malfoy's back, "one of these days, I'll get him —" "I hate them both," said Harry, "Malfoy and Snape." "Come on, cheer up, it's nearly Christmas," said Hagrid. "Tell yeh what, come with me an'see the Great Hall, looks a treat." The four of us followed Hagrid and his tree off to the Great Hall, where Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick were busy with the Christmas decorations."Ah, Hagrid, the last tree — put it in the far corner, would you?"The hall looked spectacular. Festoons of holly and bonbons hung all around the walls, and no less than twelve towering Christmas trees stood around the room, some sparkling with tiny icicles, some glittering with hundreds of candles. 

"How many days you got left until yer holidays?" Hagrid asked." Just one," said Hermione. "And that reminds me — (Y/N), Harry, Ron, we've got half an hour before lunch, we should be in the library." "Oh yeah, you're right," said Ron, tearing his eyes away from ProfessorFlitwick, who had golden bubbles blossoming out of his wand and was trailing them over the branches of the new tree." The library?" said Hagrid, following them out of the hall. "Just before the holidays? Bit keen, aren't yeh?" "Oh, we're not working," I told him brightly. "Ever since you mentioned Nicolas Flamel we've been trying to find out who he is." "You what?" Hagrid looked shocked. "Listen here — I've told yeh —drop it. It's nothin' to you what that dog's guardin'." "We just want to know who Nicolas Flamel is, that's all," said Hermione innocently."Unless you'd like to tell us and save us the trouble?" I asked with a smirk. "We must've been through hundreds of books already and we can't find him anywhere — just give us a hint — I know I've read his name somewhere.""I'm sayin' nothin', said Hagrid flatly."Just have to find out for ourselves, then," said Harry, and they left Hagridlooking disgruntled and hurried off to the library one last time before the holidays.

Eventually, we found ourselves in the common room after another failed attempt on finding anything on Nicholas Flamel. I was cautiously watching Harry and Ron play wizard chess. Ron was extremely good at chess, probably the best player in his family. I had no doubt that Ron could give my dad a run for his money. Harry was pretty good considering he had never played it before and I was alright at it. Hermione however, was shocking. I had tried to mentor her after she vowed to beat Ron (she hated losing) but it was hopeless. Hermione then came down from her dorm into the common room just as Ron had gained the advantage against Harry. "That's totally barbaric!" Hermione exclaimed as Ron's Rook/Castle had just demolished Harry's Knight. "That's wizard's chess." Ron replied, his eyes still glued to the chessboard. "I see you've packed" "See you haven't." Hermione retorted. "Change of plans. My parents decided to go to Romania to visit my brother, Charlie. He's studying dragons there!" Ron exclaimed with joy. "Good." Hermione said. " You can help (Y/N) and Harry, then. They're going to go to the library for information on Nicholas Flamel." Ron groaned in protest. "Hermione, it's the Christmas break, we're meant to be having fun!" Ron exclaimed. "Make sure to write (Y/N), keep me updated on any progress."  Hermione stated in her classic bossy tone. I nodded in response.  "And you could ask your parents if they know who Flamel is," said Ron."It'd be safe to ask them.""Very safe, as they're both dentists," said Hermione with a giggle.

A/N

Sorry for the delay, been real busy with work. Enjoy!

-Sam.F