The Sorting Ceremony

(Y/N)'s POV

I stepped down from the train on to the tiled platform of Hogwarts Station only to be greeted by a cold gust of wind. I then began to help Hermione sort out her luggage from off the train. A loud booming voice grabbed our attention shouting " Right, then! First years! This way, please! Come on, now, don't be shy! Come on now, hurry up! ", I looked at who the booming voice belonged to and smiled. "Hagrid!" I shouted while waving my arms. "(Y/N), it so good to see you again! How is your father's work on dragons and their history, anything for Professor Dumbledore?" Hagrid asked. I knew that Hagrid had an interest on dragons, and was an avid supporter of dragon welfare, even so that my dad had connections with a family friend in Romania and we went to observe the fascinating creatures. "I have my dad's latest work right here" I replied presenting the tan leather satchel, Hagrid responded with a toothy smile "Well than young (Y/N), you better make sure it gets to him, but I wouldn't mind you telling me about it!" Hagrid stated. "Sure thing!" I replied.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Time Skip

The trip to Hogwarts Castle was beyond anyone's expectations. As we climbed the large sand staircase, we were greeted by an old lady with a floppy witches hat and wearing black and violet robes while wearing a small pair of glasses. "Welcome to Hogwarts. I am Professor McGonagall" She said. " Now, in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Now while youre here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you house points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup. " she stated as we all looked at her eagerly. Suddenly Neville jumped out from the crowd and shouts "Trevor!" as he picks up his toad before apologising to Professor McGonagall. Professor McGonagall looks up and states that "the sorting ceremony will begin momentarily" as she then left with her heels echoing throughout the marbled checked floor.

Then a young blonde boy speaks up with an evil grin upon his face "It's true then, what they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts?". I turned around hearing whispers of "Harry Potter?" from his cohort. The platinum blonde boy then motions two boys behind him to move up as he introduces them. "This is Crabbe and Goyle. And I'm Malfoy...Draco Malfoy." Ron sniggers before whispering to me "Get a load of this." as he continued to snigger, absent of the fact that all attention was now on him. Draco looked down at Ron and smiled with evil intent and said "Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand-me-down robe? You must be a Weasley." Ron looked down in shame and his cheeks went red in embarrassment as he diverted his attention else where. Draco continued his vile rant saying that "Well, soon find that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. Dont want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there." Harry stood tall and looked Draco in the eye before replying "I think I can tell who the wrong sort are for myself, thanks." clearly not taking Draco's arrogance. The staring contest was interrupted by McGonagall as she states that "We're ready for you now. Follow me" as Draco glares at Harry one more time before all the First Year's quietly followed the wise Professor.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Time Skip

Professor McGonagall led all the student into the large dining hall as they all wondered in awe as they looked up at the eerie ceiling. "It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky." Hermione said confidently." I read about it i-" "in Hogwarts: A History." as a proud I finished her sentence, once again flashing her a toothy smile.

They were then led to the front where a ragged, stitched old hat sat on a stool. "Will you wait along here, please? Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words." the wise Professor said as she made her way to the side holding a piece of parchment. An old man rose from the long table with moon spectacles and dressed in blue robes as he addressed the hall. "I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce. The first years please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch has asked me to remind you that the 3rd floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you". A general whisper emerged from the new students about the dark forest and suffering a painful death on the 3rd floor corridor.

Professor McGonagall then stepped forward. "When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted." she said. "Abbott, Hannah!". A girl with blonde pigtails stumbled out of line, put on the hat, which fell right over her eyes, and sat down. A moments pause, "HUFFLEPUFF!" shouted the hat. The Hufflepuff's table cheered as Hannah went to sit with them. I saw a fat ghost wave at her.

Bones, Susan!"

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

"Boot, Terry!"

"RAVENCLAW!"

This went on for some time. The first Gryffindor had been "Brown, Lavender." Then the first Slytherin, "Bullstrode, Millicent."

Finally, the hat called Hermione's name. Hermione almost ran to the stool and jammed the hat eagerly on her head full of nervousness. "GRYFFINDOR!" shouted the hat. Y/N heard Ron groan. He frowned at him. Neville was sorted into Gryffindor, the blonde boy, Malfoy, was sorted into Slytherin. The hat had shouted the name of the snake house the moment it touched his head. Harry was sorted into Gryffindor too. There were a few whispers when his name was called. There weren't many names left now. Finally -

"L/N, Y/N!"

Dumbledore looked at me smiling while raising his goblet to me as I walked to the stool. The last thing I saw were the people staring at him, eagerly for a response from the ragged brown hat. "Hmm," said a small voice in my ear. "It's been a while since I've had a Pheonix, I remember your father, a Ravenclaw he was. You have his intellect but also your mother's strong ambition to prove yourself..." "You knew my parents?" I asked the hat. "Hah, it speaks!" The hat replied. "It's not very often that I get a first-year to reply to me. Clearly, you are full of bravery and courage!" I then noticed how the crowd was looking at me with interest, then I realised. No one else had taken this long, not even the famed Harry Potter. "You have nerves of steel my boy! There is something about you, something I have not seen in a long time, I expect great things from you. Thus, you shall be sorted into... GRYFFINDOR!" The hat exclaimed. 

I heard the hat shout as I gleefully took off the hat, I was ecstatic that I was in the same house as his new friends. The lining of my black robes were immediately transfigured red by a smiling Professor McGonagall, who muttered: "Took your time didn't you Mr Pheonix?". I took a seat on the Gryffindor table next to Hermione, who looked very pleased that we were in the same house. Ron Weasley was then sorted into Gryffindor. The last person to be sorted was "Zabini, Blaise!" who was sorted into Slytherin.

Albus Dumbledore had got to his feet. He was beaming at the students, his arms opened wide. "Welcome!" he said. "Welcome to a new year a Hogwarts! Before we begin I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!". I laughed with the rest of the students, remembering how strange the old wizard could be. I laughed even harder at Hermione's confused facial expression. The plates on the table suddenly were filled with food. I grinned remembering how hungry he was, it had been a while since he snacked on the train. I was at my new home and I absolutely loved it.

Sorry for the delay guys, I will try to publish more chapters in the near future. Thanks for the feedback also.

-Sam F