Hogwarts Express

(Y/N)'s POV

I knew that I was different. I knew that my parents were different. Even though we lived in a normal house in Surrey, Mum went to work at a weird place and would often travel, not by plane or ship. Dad was either researching in his study or travelling. Sometimes he would visit the old family manor. Dad's family were really old in the wizarding family. He told me that the Pheonix family was one of the oldest noble families in the wizarding world. The family pride itself on their hunger knowledge, the family motto is Doctrina Vim Promovet (learning promotes strength). Dad explained that his side of the family came from a long line of pureblood wizards that had become great academics and researchers, often excluding themselves from the wizarding community as a whole for their sometimes unexplainable but true theories. My mother was a muggle-born. She explained to me that her parents weren't wizards at all, so it was a real surprise when she received an acceptance letter to Hogwarts. Dad was a Ravenclaw (no surprise there) and Mum was a Slytherin. It wasn't particularly easy for mum being in a "blood purist" house she said but it wasn't what defined the Slytherin house. To be a Slytherin is to be ambitious and cunning. Mum definitely had ambition, she wanted to prove herself to the others and was Syltherin's brightest. She was also the youngest to join the Department of International Magical Cooperation and represented the Ministry of Magic (the British Seat) within the International Confederation of Wizards. So when I received my letter of acceptance to Hogwarts, I wasn't too surprised. My parents were extremely excited.

________________________________________________________________________________

Today was the day I was going to Diagon alley, I needed some supplies for school. I sprung out of bed. It wasn't very often that I got to visit Diagon Alley, but when I did, I loved it. Most of the time it was to visit Gringotts Bank or Flourish and Blotts to sort out dad's published books. So I was really looking forward to exploring it properly. We eventually made our way too Diagon Alley. We first went to Florish and Blotts too collect my course books. The owner treated dad with a huge smile and handshake. Dad's books were his best seller, he quickly helped me get the right books with a couple of extra books for free as "gift to the Pheonix family". Dad had to stay and chat with the owner about his new book so mum took me to Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occaisions. I was measured and got some Hogwarts robes, protective gloves, a winter cIoak and a pointy hat. Mum laughed at me when I put in on, telling me that she always felt rediculous when she wore it. I thought about getting a scarf. but then I remembered that I didn't know what house I would be in. Mum and I then joined Dad at Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Palour and had some ice cream and a small break before carrying on with our shopping. We then went to Slug and Jigger's Apothecary to buy various equipment such as a set of scales, a cauldron, a brass telescope and some crystal phials. 

We made our final stop at a very old looking shop. I looked up and read the sign Ollivanders-Makers of Fine Wands since 382 B.C "The best wandmakers in Britan." Dad said as he patted my back. They ushered me in and I asked them to come along but Mum explained that "Receiving your first ever wand is truly a personal and magical experience (Y/N)." I was confused but I went in.  A tinkling bell rang somewhere in the depths of the shop as they steppedinside. It was a tiny place, empty except for a single, spindly chair. I felt strangely as though he had entered a very strict library; I swallowed my nerves. Forsome reason, the back of his neck prickled. The very dust and silence in hereseemed to tingle with some secret magic.

  "Good afternoon," said a soft voice. I jumped.An old man was standing before them, his wide, pale eyes shining likemoons through the gloom of the shop."Hello," said Harry awkwardly."Ah yes," said the man. "Yes, yes. I thought I'd be seeing you soon. (Y/N) Pheonix" It wasn't a question. "You have your mother's eyes. It seems onlyyesterday she was in here herself, buying her first wand. Ten and a quarterinches long, swishy, made of pine. Nice wand for charm work."Mr. Ollivander moved closer to me. It wished he would blink.Those silvery eyes were a bit creepy."Your father, on the other hand, favored an exquisite rosewood wand. Eleveninches. Pliable. A little more power and excellent for curses and jinxes, perfect for his line of work, you need to be a good duelist against creatures, especially dragons. Well, I sayyour father favored it — it's really the wand that chooses the wizard, of course." "Well,now — Mr. Pheonix. Let me see." He pulled a long tape measure with silvermarkings out of his pocket. "Which is your wand arm?""Er — well, I'm right-handed," I said."Hold out your arm. That's it." He measured me from shoulder tofinger, then wrist to elbow, shoulder to floor, knee to armpit and round his head.As he measured, he said, "Every Ollivander wand has a core of a powerfulmagical substance, Mr. Pheonix We use unicorn hairs, phoenix tail feathers, andthe heartstrings of dragons. No two Ollivander wands are the same, just as notwo unicorns, dragons, or phoenixes are quite the same. And of course, you willnever get such good results with another wizard's wand." I suddenly realized that the tape measure, which was measuringbetween his nostrils, was doing this on its own. Mr. Ollivander was flittingaround the shelves, taking down boxes.