First Dance

Nagisa has never danced before.

Well, that's not entirely true. He has, just not with another person. In the few months he's been alive and aware of himself, he's danced countless times on the wind. Letting himself be guided in whatever direction it pleases, hair ruffled and cheeks pink from smiling as he gracefully follows the gusts, had given him a good idea of what dancing should be.

As it turns out, his notion of dancing wasn't entirely correct.

What he's discovering now, as cool hands take his own and gently lead him around a clearing filled with flowers he can't study long enough to identify, is that dancing is so much more than following the wind.

It's a push and a pull, a soft smile that makes mercury eyes crinkle in the corners, dizzying footwork he can barely keep up with, and reassuring stability found in the arms of a stranger who doesn't actually feel strange. Nagisa has never met this man before- he'd remember the red hair, the crisp air that seems to surround him, the magnetic tug that makes him want to reach out.

Funnily enough, it was the wind that brought him here. It was cooler than before, sending a shiver up his spine that promised excitement, and far more insistent than wind usually is when trying to make him dance. Nagisa didn't have anything else to do, so, of course, he went along, and found himself spun right into this person's arms.

They've nearly made it halfway around the clearing when Nagisa curiosity finally manages to overpower the shock and awe. "I don't know your name," he says, flashing a shy smile before adding, "Mine's Nagisa."

"Karma."

His voice is deep and makes Nagisa think of nights under the stars, practically glued to each other for the sake of keeping warm as they tell stories of the ones above them. He only entertains the thought for a second but already finds his entire being yearns for it, longs to stay in Karma's arms.

"Are you new, too?" Karma asks, leaning in. The hand that was on Nagisa's waist slides to the small of his back, pulling him closer until their chests are pressed together and they can feel how fast their hearts are beating.

Nagisa momentarily forgets how to speak, his own hand moving to rest over Karma's heart. He's warm. Somehow, that's reassuring. It's only when he looks up again and realizes they're close enough for their noses to brush that Nagisa remembers the question. "Oh! Um, yeah, I am," he says, feeling his cheeks flush. "How did you guess?"

Karma hums softly, some emotion in his eyes that Nagisa can't quite place but thinks is amusement and eagerness. "It just feels right," he replies.

Yeah. It does.

There isn't exactly a manual for this sort of thing. When Nagisa was created, he'd been greeted by the kind smile and warm eyes of the Goddess. She had run her fingers through his hair and whispered words the wind carried away before he could properly hear. In the periphery of his vision, he thought he'd seen a flash of red before the Goddess kissed his forehead and sent him on his way. The last thing he'd seen was a knowing smile that left him with a sense of anticipation.

And that was it. His introduction to the world took only a few seconds. But he wasn't completely lost. He knew a few things. He knew the warmth of the unrelenting sun, the strength of oak trees reaching towards the clouds, the joy of blooming flowers and rain that ends as quickly as it comes and soft grass perfect for mid-day naps.

But he didn't know Karma.

Now that he does, Nagisa thinks he would gladly give up knowing everything else for him.

They've nearly circled the entire clearing by now and Nagisa feels the air around him shift. It's crisp; the wind that blows is colder than anything he's ever experienced, and the faint scent of holly blossoms tickles his nose. He thinks it would be scary if he didn't feel deep down that this, too, is Karma.

"What have you been doing until now?" Nagisa asks, glancing at their joined hands before interlocking their fingers.

Karma follows his gaze, staring for a few seconds before he gets another soft smile. "I've been following the snow," he says, nodding towards the snow-covered trees on the other side of the clearing. Nagisa would wonder how he didn't notice them before but he knows it's because he's been wholeheartedly absorbed in Karma. "What about you?"

He almost says that he'd spent all his time dancing in the wind. But that's not true. That wasn't dancing. "I was following the wind," he finally says, realizing as he speaks just how true the words are.

The wind has always been leading him here, letting him bless and explore the lands on the way before bringing him right where he belongs. He wonders if the snow was doing the same for Karma.

They come to a slow stop right where they started, neither making the first move to pull away. How can they, after finally finding each other? The very thought of leaving Karma's warmth to face the sudden cold makes Nagisa want to burrow into his chest and wrap a cloak around them both.

Karma looks like he's thinking something similar and it's enough to make Nagisa feel brave. He nervously licks his lips, watching as Karma's gaze drops to follow the movement before looking up once more. "Maybe we could dance one more time," Nagisa whispers, feeling like there's too little space between them to speak any louder.

Karma's eyes light up and he eagerly nods once. "I don't see why not," he says, squeezing Nagisa's hand. It's the only warning before he's beginning to lead once more, his movements lighter than before as though he's begun to dance on air.

The wind loops around them, running through their hair in a familiar motion before it brushes past Nagisa's ear. It feels warm and kind, just like the Goddess, as it whispers, "You were made for each other, Nagisa; Oak and Holly in an endless dance. The seasons will follow your lead, so don't worry, just dance together to your hearts' content."

Nagisa smiles, bright and blinding, and thinks there's nothing he'd rather do.