Chapter 3: Cosmic Love (Part 1)

Content Warning: Tentacles 

On the interplanetary space station in the Orion system it was normal to run into all kinds of characters. Jackie had met people of all shapes and sizes. Her best friend quickly became a blob named Becky. It was actually pronounced Bek-Eh. But Jackie had slipped into calling her Becky without noticing.

While Jackie considered herself to be rather tame in her form compared to others. She to the others was quite the oddity. Apparently, few other species had secondary sexes like dynamics as they did on Earth. Gender was a fluid concept and the Fungus people of Planet 9292 had well over two thousand sexes. But there was never quite anything like dynamics in others.

At least that was until she met Cyan. Cyan was a strange individual from a race of humanoids, they looked human at first but there were some strange aspects. Tendrils, sharp teeth, and glowing eyes really set them apart from humans. No one was exactly sure what Cyan was, but they knew he was at the very least not human.

Cyan had been a new addition to the station after they had received a fresh batch of recruits. He was a friendly sort, often joking and laughing with others. He even got along well with Jackie. At least until he found out she was an alpha. He seemed to understand what that was and mentioned something about his people having the same concept. Jackie would've loved to talk to him more about this but... Then he started behaving strangely. In private he would be friendly and kind towards Jackie but when others came around he would be cold and distant. But often look her way. Always watching her from a distance until others left and going straight back to being nice to her again.

Jackie didn't get it and didn't try to understand it. If anything she had learned while working in the Orion system station like this, it was just to not ask too many questions and just let people be. If Cyan wanted to act the way he did, Jackie wasn't going to bother herself trying to understand it and just do her work. Though she'd be lying if she said it didn't bother her sometimes. Especially considering that Jackie actually liked Cyan as a person. So it hurt that he behaved this way. But again, she decided not to mention it sure that there was some reason she wouldn't understand behind it.

Currently, Jackie was working on some broken valves in the inner workings of the station. Hanging upside down was never her favorite thing, and normally Becky was the one to do this. But, she was sick this morning and had to go back to her place to recover. From what she could understand, Becky said something about reproduction happening soon. As fascinating as seeing an asexual species reproduce would've been. Apparently that was a private matter and Becky wanted to be left alone. So Jackie respected that despite her curiosity.

"How's it hanging?" A voice said as tendrils wrapped around some pipes and lifted up a young man in a blue space suit to Jackie's level. It was Cyan, as always his hair was a platinum-blond and his eyes matched his suit. Apparently, he was named after the color of his eyes. Or so she had been told by Cyan during a previous conversation. 

"Well the blood is rushing to my head and I'm a little dizzy but I've almost got this," Jackie said turning the wrench and then click. "Haha! Got it!" She said victoriously before letting go of the pipe twisting her body and landing on the ground. She heard a whistle. "Wow, you Earthlings are athletic," Cyan remarked from his position above before slowly descending.

"Some of us are," Jackie replied tying the red bandanna in her hair tighter. She ignored Cyan eying her up and down. Cyan smiled at her and Jackie saw the sharp teeth in his mouth. Jackie wondered if that was some sort of threat or whatever. Deciding not to ask she picked up her toolbox and started to head towards her next assignment. 

While she had decided not to ask questions... It frankly bothered her that he was acting this close to her today after what he did yesterday. Yesterday Jackie and Cyan were in the middle of a conversation about their favorite foods at home when some their coworkers came up. Cyan literally used his tendrils to launch himself away from Jackie.  He ended up falling and knocking over some chairs before running off. Everyone saw it and it was incredibly embarrassing to be avoided so publicly like that.