Ch 4: Honey Rum Empress (Part 1)

A summer spent overseas sounded ideal to an overworked Dorian. He was getting fed up with constant classes, the pressure of the public eye on him at all times, and the ridiculousness that came with dealing with power-hungry nobles. So it was only natural that he jumped at the chance to go with Francis and Quinn to the States. It was last minute and impulsive but Dorian really needed the break.

Though this... This is not what he had in mind.

When Quinn said she was from the country, Dorian pictured rolling fields of wheat or even large mountains. But instead, Quinn was from the country in the Bayou. Which meant, her house was partially on it. The front porch was lifted up over marshy swampy lands. Dorian was sure there were snakes and whatever else deep inside the waters. He tried not to let his eyes linger on the green waters too long due to the anxiety it caused him.  Bugs buzzed in the air constantly and there was a deep earthy smell everywhere.

Dorian was used to floral smells like back home that lingered in the air. Compared to that, this air smelt rancid to him.

The house was big, just as Quinn had told him. Eight bedrooms, a large kitchen, dining room, attic, sunroom, and a few others. Off to the side near the gravel driveway was a large fruit and vegetable garden. Everything was arranged neatly and in order. Though it wasn't the nicest place that Dorian had stayed in. He had to admit, Quinn's family worked with what they had.

A buzzing in his ear signaled to him that a mosquito was hovering nearby. Dorian smacked himself and sighed. He hated it here.

"I should've just went to Akoya." He complained, "Akoya?" A thick southern voice asked, he looked behind him and saw Ms. May, Quinn's mother. "Sugar they've got their own crop of problems." She said tightening the bandana over her thin curly hair. "Now we ain't as fancy as some places. But if you're bored. Dylan can take you out on the fan boat!" She offered. Dorian sat there with his legs hanging over the edge of the dock/porch. "The fan boat?" He asked May motioned over to a couple of grey steel boats with large fans on the back. "Sure I guess." Dorian agreed having nothing better to do.

"That's the spirit sugar. Now don't let your legs hang over the edge for too long. Some of the gaters like to snatch people like that." She said patting Dorian on the back. Dorian jerked his legs back and held them close to his chest quickly hearing this. May laughed before turning facing towards the garden beside the house, "Dilly!" She then shouted, "Dorian wants to go boatin! Can you take him?"

Dorian watched the woman walk over to her daughter who lazily came walking up her sandals slapping the bottoms of her feet as she did. None of the Ramsey family actually knew he was the crown prince. It was for safety reasons. Also for Dorian's peace of mind, he really didn't want to be hounded by anyone while he was here. But Francis wasn't hounded despite them knowing that he was a noble. Still, there was a difference between Duke and Prince.

It was still strange to hear people just call him Dorian. He didn't hate it though. May walked back inside to work on 'supper' as she called it. Something about colored greens and grits. Dorian didn't know what that was, but he was sure it was going to be strangely tasty like everything else he had eaten here. May was quite the cook and Dorian made a silent note to grab a few recipes before he left.

Meanwhile, a young woman around Dorian's age walked over, she was dressed in jean shorts with a tank top and a light-colored flannel shirt over the top. The two of them stared at each other. Dorian hadn't really had the chance to socialize with Quinn's massive family preferring to stay close to Francis asking him about everything here. He had been a little uncomfortable when he saw the large house with the tin roof for the first time. It wasn't that it was dirty, it was just different. Dorian had been a little jealous that his older cousin took to it so easily. He seemed excited to see everything here and looked relaxed. But Dorian guessed that was because he loved Quinn so much.