f i f t y - s e v e n

Chapter; Fifty-Seven

I Don't Care

It was the night before Hailey and Ginny left for Hogwarts.

The Lupin household was quiet, something it hasn't been in the past couple of days. Munchkin sat quietly on Hailey's bed licking her paws as she packed her bag. She was keeping her books in the trunk when one diary fell out. It was the diary Dumbledore left for her.

She still didn't figure out what to do with it. She tried everything, but nothing seem to work. She felt like plan B was a failure. If she was with Hermione, she could've helped her figure it out. Hailey kept the diary inside her bewitched side bad and continued.

"Knock knock," Remus said leaning against her doorframe. He had a small smile plastered on his face.

"Uncle Rem, no one says knock knock," Hailey said as the man chuckled before letting himself insider the room. One side of her room was filled with pictures. Some were of her, Ron, Harry and Hermione. One was of the Christmas in their fifth year. The first and last Christmas they spent with Sirius. There were loads of recent pictures with Tonks, Remus and Munchkin. Some were at Bill's wedding. It was like going down a memory lane in her life.

"I say knock knock. So it's not no one." He sat down on the bed and looked at her. "You alright?"

"I... I don't know." Hailey admitted. "It's... It feels wrong. Here I am. Living with you and Dora. We hang out, drink tea together, play wizarding chess, cook and have dinner together... Practical living my best life. I finally feel like I am a part of a family. But my brother, best friend and boyfriend are somewhere out there in- I don't even know where. I don't even know if they ate properly, slept properly... I don't know if they're even alive..."

"Hey... Come and sit here." Remus said patting the space in front of him.

"I don't deserve it." She said sitting down. "Ron, Harry and Hem-"

"You don't always have to feel like that honey." He said. "You deserve everything. You've been through so much- But still, look at you. One of the strongest people I know."

"You are just being nice."

"It's called being honest." He said. He paused for a while and looked at her walls again. There was one picture that he had given her. It was one of James and Lily's weddings. "You know... Your parents, they wanted me to be your godfather."

"Then why aren't you?" She asked looking at him.

"I... I felt like I didn't deserve to be your godfather. I... I'm a monster. I didn't deserve to be a godfather. James, he was mad when I told him. I was the responsible one as a kid... So he wanted his daughter to be with someone responsible. Harry and Sirius got along since the beginning. But I... I couldn't. I couldn't look after anyone-"

"And yet you've always been my best father figure," Hailey said with a shaky voice. "I love dad and Sirius to bits... But I've never had them much in my life. For the past almost four years, it was always you uncle Rem. You looked after me. You've been there for me in my hardest times. You may not be my legal guardian or whatever, but in my heart, it was always you. I'm grateful that I have you."

"And I'm grateful I have you," Remus said as Hailey hugged him. "Your mum and dad would be very proud of you. I'm proud of you."

Hailey never had someone say they were proud of her. All her life she spent trying to be good at everything for someone. For someone to tell her she did well. And for someone to finally say they were proud of her. All those emotions came crashing down at the moment as she held on to Remus balling her eyes out.