Chapter Thirty-One: Gas Station Meltdown

Cole's POV

"Where are we at?" Nathaniel asked.

I looked over to him, "The place I plan to kill you."

He rolled his eyes, "All I'd have to do it flick you over. And I'd be safe."

I groaned, "Just because it's the truth doesn't mean you have to say it out loud mother fucker." I put a hand on my chest, "it feels  like all you use me for these days is to bully and, quite frankly, I don't appreciate it."

"Oh yes." Nathaniel said, "Nowadays it seems that my only reason to wake up is to bully you."

I snorted, "I always knew you were an open book. Now that I know your real intentions, I'm gonna kick you out, drive myself back home and come back for you in the morning."

"I could just call my dad."

"Wouldn't he be mad you snuck out?"

He laughed, "He was on the couch saying bye when I came out to meet you."

My jaw dropped, I quickly shut it, "Fine... then I'll take your phone too."

"Would you even be able to leave me?"

I glared, "Are you doubting me. Because I have left Brian before, I won't hesitate Nathaniel."

He shrugged, "But I'm not Brian." He checked his phone, "And it's 4 AM."

"Your mom is 4 AM."

"That doesn't make sense."

I sighed, "Will you stop heckling me? I'm trying to create a fun family bonding trip and you-" I pointed an accusing finger, "Are making it hard."

He yawned, "I'm sorry." He said, "I'm also tired."

"Will you just be patient? I'll tell you what we're gonna do in a second. I just gotta think about it first."

"Well think faster." He said, "I'm tired."

"Awh." I cooed, "Are you sweepy? You can take a nap."

"Shut up," he said with a smile, pulling out his phone, the phone screen illuminated his face and I winced at his brightness. 

What psychopath has their brightness that far up? 

"What are we gonna do?"

I hummed, "Look up the nearest 24 hour gas station."

He sent me a confused look, "Why?"

"Just do it, why you gotta question me?"

He laughed to himself while he opened maps.

"What?" I asked.

"It's just that, we're pretty far from town and you haven't crashed the car yet."

"I won't lie when I say I thought about it." I commented, "Those cones on the side of the road earlier looked so appealing."