Mission: Team Sweatshirt

Grief happens whenever for whatever reason. Heres my version of what happens when Courtney has a moment of rememberance.

Shayne's POV

"Hey dude," Damien calls across the table to me. 

I look up and he continues. 

"She's wearing your sweatshirt again." Damien looks concerned. "Do you know what's up?" 

I look to see her wearing the navy blue oversized sweatshirt. The one she wears every time something is wrong. The sweatshirt she doesn't realize is mine, but Damien and Olivia help me steal every time it needs a wash or it starts to lose its smell. 

Courtney borrowed that sweatshirt from me at summer games camp and I never got it back, nor did I care to. Olivia told me that the smell calms her down and the sweatshirt is so comfy it helps keep her anxiety at bay. So of course, Courtney kept the sweatshirt and we work to keep it a constant comfort item for her. 

It's secretly selfish. It's a way I get to take care of her that no one else can. I have feelings for her. Of course I do. It's Courtney burps-a-lot Miller. But at the same time, seeing the sweatshirt makes me nervous. It means something is wrong and not just mildly either. 

"Dames, you know how I feel about the sweatshirt. It makes me anxious every time. I hope she's okay." I look up hoping she's making her way towards us. 

He gives me the sympathetic look he gives me everytime. 

"Hey, Court. What's up?" I ask cautiously. 

She looks up with tears in her eyes, barely holding herself together. "It's… it's that day. That time of the year. I thought after last year it was getting a little easier, but then I found this as I was getting ready this morning." She hands me an envelope. 

Courtney sits next to me curling into my side as I read the letter. 

Dearest Courtney, 

You know every year, I was that relative who didn't give you the shiny new toy or the gift cards and cash to buy things. I gave you a savings bond, a book and an ornament. Now you are 25. Most of those bonds have been maturing since before you were born. 

You are reading this, which means I have passed and your parents hopefully held up my tradition. I wrote this letter to signify the last one I have to give you. I hoped I could see the look on your face when you realize you could have a house, start a business, or anything else you desire. 

I love you and wanted to make sure I could care for you even when I was nothing more than a memory and a photograph. Don't forget to treat yourself too. You always work so hard. 

You're special, sweetie. 

Love, 

Grammie

I pass the letter off to Damien. When Courtney lost her grandmother five years ago. She was truly heartbroken because they were always so close. The letter may talk about money, but the sentiment behind it is incredible. 

I put my arm around her shoulders inviting her in for a hug. "You can grieve at any time, Court. I hate to say it, but it doesn't go away. It's your life giving you a reminder to remember her and the times you shared." 

She looks up at me. I know she's thinking about what I said. "Shayne, she told me to buy a house. Then I thought about how she'll never see me walk down the aisle, my kids playing in the yard, and the big milestones. I love having a reminder of the good things, but right now I just miss her.